add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Build - Drive 0 Unallocated Space 0.0 MB

piesta24
  • 20 months ago

Hey guys,

Full disclosure, I'm building my first PC, so I it's very possible that I'm making a somewhat stupid mistake.

I successfully built the PC, but when I try to install windows I'm unable to because it says my drive has 0.0 MB of total space and 0.0 MB of free space. I believe I plugged in all the necessary cables. The SATA cable is plugged in to the hard drive and the motherboard and the data cable from the power supply is also plugged into the hard drive. I've already done a bunch of research into this issue but I haven't found anything useful.

Does anyone think they can help? Again, I'm very new to this so don't shy away from answers that might seem pretty obvious. Also, let me know if there's any more information I can provide that would help you figure out the issue.

Thanks!

My pieces:

Power Supply: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR, Black

Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV LGA1151/ Intel B250/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.0/ M.2/ A&GbE/ MicroATX Motherboard

Drive: WD Blue 250GB Everyday PC Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 16MB Cache (WD2500AAKX) (Old Model)

Graphics Card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 128 Bit PCI-E Graphic Card (GV-N1050OC-2GD)

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I would make sure that it has both SATA data plugged into the board as well as SATA power, which is from the PSU. Do you have a flash drive with Windows or a Windows CD? Was this drive from an old PC or is it a new drive? Do you have any spare drives or cables to swap out?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I would make sure that it has both SATA data plugged into the board as well as SATA power

If either the power or the data cable is not plugged in the drive is not even detected. So this is not what the issue is.

Do you have a flash drive with Windows or a Windows CD?

That has nothing to do with anything.

Was this drive from an old PC or is it a new drive?

Now that is a useful question. But formatting and partitioning either of them should solve the problem.

Do you have any spare drives or cables to swap out?

Again, if the cables are damaged, the drive is not even detected.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

I have had odd issues before with drives before where a simply cable swap fixed it. Since I am relying on OP's responses and they have stated they are a new PC builder I figured that I would start at the very base and work from there. I also have had issues with Windows where it would work from a flash drive for one machine, but it wouldn't for anther and I would have to make a CD for the ISO. I didn't want to jump straight to partitioning because from what I read OP couldn't even load the Windows data to install it, rendering those suggestions useless at the moment. If you have any suggestions on what the problem actually could be then I am sure that OP and I know that I would be more than happy to hear them.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I did respond to the OP and linked him a video on how to install Windows.

Hopefully watching that and doing the installation parallelly would help him sort out the problem (which I assume is the lack of formatting/partitioning of the drive).

But we'll know more when he gets back to us, right?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I definitely have the sata plugged into the motherboard. As for the sata power, is that the cable that looks like this? https://imgur.com/a/CpC7zBc I do have that one plugged in. Those are the only two cables I have connected to my hard drive.

I have a flash drive with windows. This drive is completely new it came in the mail a few days ago. I don't have any spare drives , but I did have extra cables which I tried and did not fix the problem.

The only other possibly relevant piece of information I can think of is that my PCI-E cable from the PSU is not connected to my graphics card because my graphics card doesn't have an outlet for it. I looked it up and apparently my graphics card doesn't need that connection. Idk if that is at all relevant to this problem though.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you make a picture of that message?

I suppose you need to format/partition your drive before you can use it. There is a button for that in the installer (maybe you need to pick custom installation to access that).

Have a look at this video.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the drive partitioned and formatted?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks everyone for the help! It turns out that despite the fact that the hard drive was brand new it was somehow already broken. It must have been damaged in the mailing/shipping process, but I went out and bought a new one and it's working perfectly.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube