add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

100% cpu usage

EbolaChan
  • 20 months ago

I am consistently getting 100% cpu usuage while gaming throughout the day. Any ideas.? Could it be me only having 1 8gb stick of ram at the moment?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $240.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Purchased For $25.00
Motherboard Asus - PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard Purchased For $120.00
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $96.99
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $84.61 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $89.99
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $56.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card Purchased For $473.99
Case NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $99.00
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $35.00
Keyboard Corsair - K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For $105.98
Mouse Razer - DeathAdder Elite Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For $60.00
Headphones Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel Headset Purchased For $34.00
Other Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone - Blackout Edition Purchased For $140.00
Other Acer XFA240 bmjdpr 24" Full HD (1920 x 1080) TN Monitor with 144hz Refresh Rate & AMD FREESYNC Technology (Display Port, HDMI/MHL, & DVI Port) Purchased For $210.00
Other Acer XF251Q bmiirx 24.5" Full HD (1920 x 1080) TN Monitor with AMD FREESYNC Technology (2 x HDMI & VGA Port) Purchased For $250.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2121.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-18 15:18 EDT-0400

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

RAM bottlenecks would actually cause CPU usage % to drop since the cpu is sitting idle waiting for RAM.

What framerates are you playing at? (are you locking the framerate to the monitor's max?) if you're not locking the framerate, then you could be creating a few hundred fps which would work your system harder while still only displaying 144 on the monitor...

Have you checked for other processes running besides the game? like a virus scan? (I had massive trouble with cpu usage from a gigabyte RGB app until I unistalled it. found it by looking at the cpu usage by process during a game)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you talking about RGB Fusion? If I let it open on startup it would launch a process called "TODO: <file description> (32 bit)" or something like that. It would consistently use about 30% or more of my cpu, and it would launch on startup. But the funny thing is, if I open the RGB Fusion app, but then force quit that stupid process, the app stays open and running. However, I can confirm that it is an RGB Fusion process, as disabling RGB Fusion on startup prevents it from opening.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, thats the one. I never change my rgb settings so I just uninstalled instead of disabling it. Maybe someday they'll fix it? lol

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, I don't know about you personally, but from the experience I've had recently, I will not be purchasing another Gigabyte product in the future. The software is just absolutely terrible, almost as horrific as their support. Don't get me wrong, my Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 looks amazing (when the RGB behaves properly) and the cooling performance of my Gigabyte AORUS 1080 is on point. However, the RGB software between the card and the motherboard conflict each other and break the RGB unless you restart. Then sometimes the RGB software will color one of my two dimms, then leave the other one. Oh yeah, and then the RGB softwares separate and my GPU is a different color everything I boot the PC even though in both programs they are set to static on the same RGB values. (Let me know if you want the full list of my grievances, I have them written down (it's very lengthy)).

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

it'll be awhile before things progress on the hardware front for me to be able to justify getting new parts, so maybe they'll make a turn around by then... but definitely gonna research a bit more to make sure the software part can actually sync them up. cuz a big part of the decision was hoping the mobo lights and the gpu lights would be in sync while rotating through the colors. lol

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

To see if you are running out of memory, check your resource monitor for hard faults... How to use the resource monitor

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, so the CPU usage on all 4 cores is 100%, BUT are the cores running with 3.8 GHz ???

Check the BIOS for an underclock or use a CPU monitoring tool to see the used GHz

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Task manager says it’s at like 4.47 ghz

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

can you identify the *.exe which creates all that load?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I will after work

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're not bottlenecked by graphics or anything then modern games will absolutely max out a 4 thread CPU.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a 1070 so I don’t think I’m bottlenecks.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

What frame rates are you pushing? What resolution are you playing at? The 1070 will get you to 4K but the cpu needs to be able to push the raw data to the GPU and it sounds like it is having a hard time keeping up.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s 1080p. On fortnite I capped my frames at 160 for my 144hz monitor

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The 7th gen i5 is really struggling getting that much data to your GPU for 160 fps... Try capping at 144 FPS since that is the refresh rate of the monitor. The GPU can handle Fortnite at that resolution but the CPU is causing a bottleneck at that framerate.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Ohhh, that does make sense. Thanks man

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube