add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ram creating black screen.

SethWils1231
  • 20 months ago

After I built my pc it turned on just fine but nothing would come up on the screen. I checked to see if everything looked right and I noticed tge dram light on my motherboard was on. I took out one stick of ram then booted and everythin went perfectly. I switched the two sticks of ram to see if it was a ram problem but it still booted. I really don't want to return my mobo and take my pc apart (but i will if i have to) so help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Your explanation is confusing.

You have two sticks of RAM. In the first combination you can't get it to boot. Got it.

But then you switched the RAM and it booted? Switched it how? Other sticks? Put them in different slots? Swapped their positions?

How many RAM slots does your motherboard have? And what slots have you tried?

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the confusion, it's hard to explain. It didnt boot with two sticks but it did with one stick, then I switched the stick it worked with and the other stick and it booted fine also so it's not the ram. It doesnt work with 2 sticks in any slot. The single stick does work in any slot though. So the main takeaway is that 2 sticks at the same time dont work. (My mobo has 4 slots)

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Sry it still doesn't make much sense.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know your parts list so it makes it harder to troubleshoot from a distance. Sounds like the memory sticks are good based on your troubleshooting. Try swapping the sticks into the other slots. Sometimes a stick won't seat properly. If the problem comes back make sure you are using the right bank of slots for the memory. If the problem exits when you populate a specific slot with memory then that slot is bad and you will need to replace the motherboard.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I tried using both ram sticks on the first 2 Dimm slots and it worked but neither of the back 2 slots worked. Could I have gotten 2 faulty Dimm slots? And if so is it worth taking the pc apart and returning the mobo for dual channel.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Usually the slots need to be populated in a specific order and the "bank 2" slots won't work unless the "bank 1" slots are populated.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

You'll have to check your motherboard manual but typically two sticks of ram would go into slots 1 & 3 or 2 & 4. It sounds like you tried 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 and as acewingman says below, you usually have to fill one pair of slots before putting any ram in the next pair.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube