add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Powerline ethernet problem

Cough-A-Mania
  • 20 months ago

Hey guys, so I just set up my new pc, and my ethernet was downloading games from steam at 300 kbps, which it should be downloading at 10 mbps. I was wondering what I could do to get it have a better performance. My pc is 11m away from the ethernet box, I have a tp-link TG-3468, and a trendnet powerline 500 av nano adapter kit. Thanks for the help if you guys could help solve this. I won’t be back online until next morning, so I won’t be able to answer back at most of you guys.

Thanks, Cough

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Assuming it's an issue over your local network, you could try running an ethernet cable from your router to your system, unless your house geometry and/or aesthetic preferences make that a poor choice.

Powerline adapters can give inconsistent performance since they're so subject to noise. I once had a defective PSU that would always manage to disconnect my powerline adapters (tried 2 different kits) when under load, and it took a long time to identify it as the cause.

If you've got a wireless adapter lying around, you could give that a shot. Alternatively, there are ways to use a laptop (with a decent wireless adapter and ethernet port) and share its connection with your desktop system.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I too have found Ethernet over Power to be buggy, do you have these plugged directly into the wall?

Do not plug them into power boards, especially one's with surge protectors.

Also, depending on how your house or building is wired one EOP may be on a different circuit and possibly out of range depending on how far the signal is running. Your range for these is not as the crow fly's so to speak but the wires running through the walls to the switchboard and back.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

When your downloading games your depending on their server. Your not going to get your full download speed for that ever. Depending on the server load and path it could even be slower.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube