add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus Strix GTX 1080 LED Issue Advice

JDMPR725

20 months ago

Hey guys, I've been dealing with an issue on my 1080 that I've already rma'd before and its happening again so I'm starting to believe that it isn't my GPU. The issue is when the RGB LED's are fully lit on the 3-fan side from one end but the lights are very dim on the other end. It could just be that I got another defect card from Asus after they said they fixed the led's or it could be a connectivity issue.

If you happen to have had this situation, any suggestions, ideas, or similar events happened to you, let me know on how you fixed it or what you think it could be.

Thank you for your time!!!

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

My best guess is that it is a power issue. Either from the PCIe slot or the PSU cable. Make sure that your PSU is of appropriate voltage, wattage, and amperage as well as they are seated fully in the card. I would swap the PCIe slots and see if it persists. If it does try a different motherboard. If it still continues then my next guess is that it is just really bad luck. Try those and comment back with your findings.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I did try swapping out to different pci-e slots and no changes were made. I did find out, however, that there is a design flaw in the strix 1070/1080 non-reference cooler design the LED's are on the power end of the card and it's using a plastic tube to reflect the light along the card. The plastic loses its transparency and reflective property when exposed to heat. All I can do is either RMA the card or take it apart and fix it myself somehow.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

I would try to RMA it. If you fix it yourself you will void your warranty and then if you have a serious issue you won't be able to RMA it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube