add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

G. Skill RipJaw (2x8GB RAM) incompatible: Please Help

Berkleyadams

19 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Berkleyadams/saved/kgtjcf

Here is the parts list on the build I just did, the only difference in the actual build and the list are 2 things: 500GB SSD Sandisk (4x2GB RAM) Corsairs

While picking all of my parts with the compatibility filter and then building the PC, there was a complication. I kept receiving error codes on my Crossblade Ranger that pertained to RAM incompatibility issues. Upon further investigation as to why these error codes kept occurring, i checked the manual for the motherboard and called Asus support for help. Turns out both of the previously mentioned stated that it was indeed, INCOMPATIBLE. So, if anyone has any insight on to how these sticks of ram could work for this build or if anyone knows for sure that they are incompatible, please let me know. As for the support team on this website, they refused to do anything until I have posted on the forum.

With Regards,

Berkley

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

First of all, ASUS 'technically' is right in claiming these could be incompatible because they do not appear on the ASUS QVL list for this motherboard. That said, it's a legalistic move because QVL lists are NEVER comprehensive over all potential RAM options. QVL lists are only statements of what the ASUS folks actually tested in the lab. The RAM you selected should work. Time to troubleshoot...

Test each stick one at a time in the primary 1st channel RAM slot. If one of them works, you know the other is a dud and you'll have to RMA the sticks. If neither work, more troubleshooting will be needed. You'd have to find a known working DDR3 RAM stick and perform the same test. If the known working stick fails, then the integrity of your motherboard comes into question. To confirm, see if your new sticks work in the computer you borrowed the other test RAM from. If your new sticks work in the other PC and not yours, your MB may be the issue.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, what they should have is a list of incompatible memory that they have tested.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

The computer that the RAM I salvaged is from, is dead now. Unfortunately, I cannot test the RipJaws in the other PC. I have the 4x2GB sticks in and all of the slots are working, so it must be issues with the RAM sticks, correct?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

If I follow what you said correctly, that you salvaged RAM from an OLD computer and all four sticks are working in your NEW computer, you're just back to square one. You've got either bad RAM sticks or that particular variety of RAM is truly not compatible with your motherboard. Without another PC to test the RipJaws on, you can't answer that question.

I'd look into the return policy from where you bought the RipJaws and see if you can get $$ back and choose a different set.

You also may want to try re-seating the RipJaws. Sometimes you can get those retention clips to fit and the stick still isn't quite 100% seated in the slot. It's an unlikely scenario, but one that takes only a few minutes to test. It's certainly worth it before starting down either the path of return-and-repurchase or RMA.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube