add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best CPU cooler for AM3+

bunnykilla

71 months ago

I am planning a build for my friend who does a lot of video and audio editing and rendering. I've decided to go with the FX-9590, and I need a really good cooler for it. I would prefer not to go with water cooling or a closed loop cooler, but it is an option. I was considering the Noctua NH-D14 ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VKVZ1A/?tag=pcpapi-20 ), but I don't know much about coolers. Most of my builds have never produced this much heat, so I've always gone with the stock cooler.

Note: I'm not asking for comments on how to make the build, I'm just asking for a good cooler.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The Phanteks TC12PE and Thermalright Silver Arrow are the suggestions I would have. However, I would highly advise not getting a 9590. It the same chip as the 8320, 8350, and the 9370. I would advise getting the 8350 or 8320 and overclocking it to the same clock speed of the 9590. It would save a lot a money.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I would do that, but to my understanding the 9590's are made using the best preforming silicon from the 8350's. Also, I have absolutely no experience with overclocking, and I would like the peace-of-mind that I didn't f**k it up. Another note, there's a very large budget for this build, and there's nothing else in the system to upgrade.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

If there's a very large budget, have you thought about getting an i7 Extreme chip?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh. By very large I guess I meant moderately large. Hey, it's large to me.An i7-extreme is slightly out of the budget. He said he could go up to $3k, but to try to keep it low. Right now it's around 2500$. When I was designing the build, I had two options. I could either get a 9590 with a titan black, or an i7-4930k with a 780-ti. I ultimately opted for the 9590, but I can still change in a heartbeat. Like in the description, he uses it mostly for video rendering, but he does some hefty gaming on the side.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Noctua has a very good reputation for air coolers. Their fans are considered one of the best, if not the best for noise control.

[comment deleted]
  • 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you say that because of the fans? I would undoubtedly change the fans to match the red/black/silver color scheme that the rest of the build has.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube