add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build, monitor briefly goes black periodically

NGL817
  • 20 months ago

Hey all - I recently built my first PC and have just recently started encountering my first issue. Every so often, maybe once every couple of minutes, the screen goes to black for about one or two seconds. It sort of looks like it's going to sleep, but from what I can tell the monitor doesn't actually turn off - just the screen goes black. It pops back on very shortly but nonetheless it's rather annoying. I can't see that it's affecting anything else with the system. I can keep typing or moving the cursor even while the display is dark.

Not sure if it's relevant, but it's a AOC 35" ultra wide curved display, AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU and a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti video card.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

You need to rule out whether you have a cable, monitor or GPU problem. Some tips:

• Reseat the cable (HDMI, DisplayPort, whatever you are using) connecting your monitor to your GPU. Make sure the connection is good and the cable is not so short that it is pulling loose.
  • Swap out the cable with a known good cable.
  • If you have a spare display, connect that to your PC.
  • Connect your AOC monitor to a console gaming system, DVD player, etc. and watch it to see if the problem persists.
  • 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Very helpful - I'll start working through the checklist to try and identify the problem.

Many thanks for taking the time!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube