• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

PhantomStorm 2 months ago

I got a pair of motorola MOCA 2.0 adapters from microcenter for about 60 dollars each for my home network. For those of you that don't know what MOCA is, it is a set of adapters that can send internet over coaxial cable.

To keep it brief, I LOVE these little things. I have had really bad experiences with powerline adapters for years. I've never had a pair of them last for over 6 months, and I just recently bought a pair that only lasted one month, a pair of trendnet adapters I bought for a total of 100 dollars. On top of their terrible reliability, it was an absolute nightmare trying to get the powerline adapters to sync with each other, despite supposedly being plug and play.

It was a different story with the MOCA adapters. All I did was: 1: connect the coaxial cable (that was originally plugged into our cable modem) to the 'network' coax port on the adapter. 2: plug in the modem to the 'device' coax port on the adapter 3: plug in the adapter to a lan port on the router 4: plug in the included power supply to the adapter. 5: screw on the included point of entry filter to the coax point of entry in our house (this prevents any random idiot from plugging in a moca adapter outside our house and getting our internet) 6: Take the second adapter and plug in a coax cable connected to the rest of the coax infrastructure of our house. 7: plug in a device to the lan port on the adapter 8: power on the second adapter

Now 8 steps seems like a lot, but they all were intuitive, and we had no issues with them. No running around the house trying to get them to sync with each other, they just instantly started sending data to each other as soon as they were plugged in and powered. We're using the adapter to get a wired connection to the Plex server in our basement, and so far it's been working well. We get speeds that match right up with the speed we are paying for from our ISP (230mbps down, and 10mbps up) and we get a ping of 14ms on the device that's hooked up to the adapter.

Now there is one problem we've noticed: When the device has been idling for a while, the moca adapter will act like it has to wake. up. So if we just turn on the plex machine after it's been sitting shut off for a while and run a speedtest, we'll still see a ping of 14ms and a 10mbps upload speed, but we'll see a download speed that starts off at about 50mbps that starts to train up to 100mbps. If we run the test again, it will always be at the full download speed of 200mbps+, but it's almost like it always has to train up after sitting for a while.

That being said, the fastest powerline adapters we've ever had, a pair of 'gigabit' powerline adapters from trendnet, only got speeds of 32mbps down, 10mbps up, with a 30ms ping, so even when the MOCA adapters are 'waking up', they are still significantly faster and more consistent than the powerline adapters. They also produce much less EMI interference, which is another thing I've noticed was really bad with the powerline adapters.

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone else who wants to get more wired connections in their house without having to run ethernet cables.

Comments Sorted by:

Khaosix 19 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

I didn't even know these were a thing. Thanks for the review.

PhantomStorm submitter 1 point 2 months ago

I didn't either until about a month ago, and none of the microcenter sales people did either. They basically asked me to come back later and tell me how it worked because they were genuinely curious too.

xbiker12 1 point 2 months ago

Glad to hear its working for you. I was hoping you'd post back if it was a success. I'm definitely keeping this in mind if I'm ever in the situation of needing a distant hardline connection and running cat6 isn't an option.

Thanks for bringing to light another great option for people that can't run a regular cat6 cable for whatever reason. :)

PhantomStorm submitter 1 point 2 months ago

No problem! I got the adapters from microcenter and none of the sales people knew anything about it (normally I've had really good experience with microcenter employees having a lot of knowledge on basically everything that they sell.) which really tells me how these things are really kind of obscure.

that and I've found powerline to be quite a bit worse than using a wireless card in my pc, so I've completely abandoned that standard all together.