add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NEED HELP WITH NEW PC PLEASE!

SpartyTech
  • 19 months ago

So i got this setup: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2rqn29 i got the dell s2716dg monitor aswell First of all there is a red light that constantly shines on the bottom of the motherboard next to a tiny port thing that is labelled p1 30. I dont know if something is wrong or if that just tells me everything powered? Second of all my monitor has no vga port to connect the pc to the monitor so can i use a hdmi/vga converter to do that as i have tried hdmi and the other strange lead that comes with the monitor and there is no signal. Please help this is my first build i dont know what im doing!

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont know if something is wrong or if that just tells me everything powered?

That's just the power indicator.

Second of all my monitor has no vga port to connect the pc to the monitor so can i use a hdmi/vga converter to do that as i have tried hdmi and the other strange lead that comes with the monitor and there is no signal.

The third connector there is most likely a Displayport.
Let's get the basics out of the way:
make sure the cable is plugged into the video card not the monitor.
make sure the input for the monitor is set to whichever cable you are using. (the monitor's manual should show how to do this.)

If none of that works, try a different video cards or minitors (if you have them) to see if it's an issue with the monitor or the video card. (The CPU also has integrated graphics, so you can plug direct into the motherboard to test the monitor.)

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

aha ok display port lead i have got ill try it but no i dont have any other parts as this is my first build and its expensive (DIDNT WORK)

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

RIGHT tried dp but just grey then monitor goes into "power saving mode" due to no display but tried hdmi with my laptop and works fine but obviously not using hdmi on pc. So what do i do

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

make sure the cable is plugged into the video card not the monitor.

Just noticed I made a mistake- that's supposed to say motherboard not monitor.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

what where does it go on motherboard? You mean the back sticking out of the io shield because if so my motherboard dont have a display port

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

You should NOT use that VGA port on the mobo. Or the DVI port next to it. Or the hdmi next to it. (they are for using integrated graphics. which is not something you wanna do after you spent 535 on that nice video card)

Go down about 8 inches to that fantastic video card you bought and plug in the cable that came with the monitor into that. (The DisplayPort one so that you can actually use G-sync since that only works using the DisplayPort connection)

yes, the monitor has an HDMI port. But DO NOT use HDMI with this very nice pc and monitor you have recently acquired. paying for G-sync and not using it makes dolphins cry.

edit: if you get a 2nd monitor for on the side to see discord/chrome while gaming using HDMI for that is totally ok since that monitor having a high refresh rate and G-sync isn't important.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

ok the monitor came with oddly shaped cables i never seen before and the graphics card doesent have a slot for them but ill double check to make sure

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

pics of the cable ends and what places you're trying to put them in will help.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Found out its display port i need to use right?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

yes. you will want to use Displayport from the video card to the monitor in order to make use of high refresh rate and G-sync features that you've already paid for. (good decision imo. Coming from someone that has the Asus version and a 1080ti)

3 of the 4 ports in a row on the video card are Displayport connections. you can use any of those 3 for a fantastic time. :)

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

i tried all 3 no connection

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

just tried dp with nothing but grey screen. Obviously there is no windows installed yet but insnt a bunch of text meant to show up anyway theres nothing the monitor just says going into power saver mode after due to no display

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube