add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First pc... Doesn't work!

Andrewneal1
  • 19 months ago

Here's my build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4XdQRJ

I connected everything I can but when I hit the power button on the cpu case it does not turn on.

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Could you describe your problem in more detail? When you hit the power are there any lights on or fans spinning at all? Do they turn off after a while?

First, let's perform some basic troubleshooting.

1. Put in one stick of RAM only.
  2. Remove all hard drives except one, and have unnecessary PCI-E devices and fans that will contribute to power draw unplugged (besides the CPU cooler).
  3. Make sure all necessary power and data cables are plugged in firmly
  4. Is there a switch at the back of the power supply (the side outside of the case) which you have to turn on?

After these steps, if there are still no lights or anything:

1. Check that you plugged in the power button correctly into the motherboard, or try shorting the two pins for power button on the mobo with a screwdriver (be careful!).
  2. Test your power supply either with a tester of a paper clip. I am suspecting a low quality PSU in this case

If there are lights:

1. Make sure your monitor is working and is set to the right input
  2. Report back if there are any error lights on the motherboard
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP6pAPctqbk

given that it doesn't say anything about bios updates or incompatible tech just have a look here for a break down of troubleshooting.

youtube is a gamers best friend

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube