add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I plug my Oculus Rift into my Motherboard's HDMI port?

Dragonqwest

19 months ago

So basically, my kinda new pc (3 months?) is soon going to be welcoming an Oculus Rift into its family of peripherals, but I only have one HDMI port on my GPU (MSI GTX 970) and is currently being used for my monitor. My GPU has 2 VGA and 1 Displayport port (lol.) I guess my main question is addressed because I'm not sure if there's a difference in using my Motherboard's HDMI port and my GPUs. I guess I do because I have always used my GPU's HDMI port for the monitor and none else. So, can I? and if possible, could you guys also tell me why it makes sense to use the GPU's HDMI instead of the Motherboard's HDMI for monitors and, in this case, Oculus? That would be amazing. Thank you.

For now, I have a solution if I cannot use the HDMI on the motherboard, I have learned that I could purchase a Displayport to HDMI adapter and could plug that into my monitor, but here then presents another question: (Drumroll) would that present any disruptions in normal PC gaming? Like would my monitor suffer from being used by a Displayport rather than direct HDMI? In that case, what are some other solutions.

Seriously, thank you for even reading my post. I would love some insight :).

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

The motherboard HDMI uses the iGPU graphics, so don't plug in the rift there. Instead, use the Displayport adapter for your monitor. No issues should be present.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! I will be doing just that! Cheers!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube