• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

onipar 3 days ago

Here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/6t4qqs

I'm timing my boot time to average about 27 seconds (I disabled the password so it goes direct to the desktop).

I never did time my old computer, but it feels about the same...or at least very close...and this is a brand new build while the old ones was almost 7 years old.

I have "fast boot" option within the Windows power settings pre-selected, but I did not turn on fast boot in my bios.

Is this a normal time for this build? Any tips? Should I flash the bios? Overclock the memory?

Thanks!

Comments Sorted by:

codezer0 3 Builds 2 points 3 days ago

Are you using AHCI mode with the SSD/HDD? If you aren't already, it'll almost assuredly require a fresh (re)install of Windows because attempting to switch will almost always cause a BSOD kill cycle.

Fast boot in BIOS is entirely with it quickly proceeding through checks in POST. It has nothing to do with how fast the OS actually boots.

AHCI as opposed to just SATA or even IDE mode would allow the board to tap into the capabilities of the SSD better, or even be more efficient with newer hard drives that support it.

Shakaron 4 Builds 2 points 2 days ago

[AHCI] it'll almost assuredly require a fresh (re)install of Windows because attempting to switch will almost always cause a BSOD kill cycle.

I remember on Windows 10 it was just a matter of fiddling with the registry, no Windows reinstall was required (more info here).

I've never tried it on Windows 10.

Also, I think you are on the wrong track here.

If you disconnect the HDD, your system should boot quicker. Go ahead, and check it. HDDs need some time to start to work, so that makes the boot process longer. There are some "fast boot" settings in certain BIOSes that prolongs the HDD initialization hence making the PC boot faster.

By the way, 30 seconds is not that terrible. :)

onipar submitter 1 Build 1 point 2 days ago

I found a firmware update for the SSD that knocked the boot time down to 17 seconds. I'm pretty happy with that so I'll probably just stop there, though I may eventually try overclocking memory.

onipar submitter 1 Build 1 point 3 days ago

Hmmm, I think I'm using AHCI. When I go to Device manager and check under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" it says "Standard SATA AHCI controller." Unless I'm checking this wrong?

Okay, so at least that part checks out.

Maybe... SSD firmware update? Check for specific chipset driver for the SSD?

Oh, just to be sure... are you booting strictly from the SSD? I know for Windows 10, I had to keep only the boot RAID installed on my setup before adding in any extra drives, because it had a want to try and copy the boot record on all installed drives.

Your boot times would be normal, if it were booting from the hard drive. but it does seem slow for an SSD; particularly with a Crucial SSD, which typically rates pretty fast on that metric.

onipar submitter 1 Build 2 points 3 days ago

OKAY! :-) Noice. I downloaded the crucial storage executive, which indicated I needed to update the firmware. The update shaved ten seconds off my boot time! So now I'm clocking in at 17 seconds, which seems a lot more like what I was expecting.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Yeah, especially for windows 10 it pays to keep up with ssd firmware updates. Since some windows updates can (rarely) cause weird issues with said ssd. Like if the windows testers at microsoft only validated with an updated drive but don't notify that in the release notes.

Dtwenty 2 points 3 days ago

S***, i just built using the same ssd as you and i had no idea you need to do this. It's my first ssd and i was starting to wonder why all the hype? I really don't notice that much.

How'd you find the DL, got a link?

Dtwenty, I know, right!? Seems like something I'd have realized while installing drivers.

Yeah, I have the link here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-ssd-firmware

Here's a tip: Skip the actually driver download (scroll past it), and instead download Crucial Storage Executive Optimization & update utility. Once you install that it'll have an "update firmware" option.

For whatever reason, I could not seem to get the standalone firmware update to work for me, but I may have been having another "duh moment." :-p

Ah, cool, I'll see if I can find drivers for this SSD.

I'm not sure about if I'm strictly booting from the SSD. I don't think I used RAID at all. How would I check this?

I'm gonna give the driver update a try and report back.

hellfire19981 0 points 2 days ago

wow you all have slow machines. My laptop (with an M.2 256GB NVMe drive boots from cold to desktop in 11 seconds.