• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

fluffy57 2 months ago

Is it still beneficial to choose Samsung B-die memory for Ryzen and Ryzen 2 systems? And if so, what exactly are benefits?

Comments Sorted by:

Edition1 2 points 2 months ago

It does help. It will be similar to the difference between 2666mhz and 3000mhz give or take. Ryzen 2nd gen does benefit from it and faster ram but not as much as ryzen 1st gen so I wouldn't spend more than (roughly) $50 extra than what you would have already gone for. For ryzen 1st gen I probably would spend a bit extra though.

https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/ this website is very useful if you are wondering.

fluffy57 submitter 1 point 2 months ago

Thank you!

Morgan123 1 point 2 months ago

Hello,

I see you've been reading. xD

It's just a type of RAM produced by Samsung that happens to play nicely with Ryzen processors at high clock speeds.

If you don't have Ryzen, B-Die vs E-Die vs Hynix doesn't really matter to you.

If you are rocking a Ryzen CPU and you want to reliably get your RAM to 3200 MHz, there are two sure-fire ways to get B-Die:

3200MHz RAM kits with a CL of 14 are all but guaranteed to be Samsung B-Die.

Any RAM kit rated higher than 3200MHz is guaranteed B-Die, no other memory OEM clocks their RAM that high.

B-Die is Samsungs description for ICs with 8GB.

E-Die is Samsungs description for ICs with 4GB.

thats all.

So:

having 16GB (2x8GB) with B-Die means you have 2 Sticks with a Single 8GB IC on it (Single Rank)

having 16GB (2x8GB) with E-Die means you have 2 Sticks with two 4GB IC's each (Dual Rank)

Hope this helps.

Vycyous 1 point 2 months ago

Morgan, do you have a good source of information for the following statement?

"Any RAM kit rated higher than 3200MHz is guaranteed B-Die, no other memory OEM clocks their RAM that high."

I'm just curious because I haven't heard or read that anywhere. To my knowledge, everything else you said is pretty much spot on.

Morgan123 2 points 2 months ago

I no longer have the source, just my saved office docs. I copy and paste a lot of articles to add into my knowledge base. I also, use the tutorial section at Tenforums.com They have a great source of information stored there.

If you find out otherwise, please let me know.

caparts 1 point 1 month ago

He is saying no other chipset manufacturer clocks their RAM that high so only Samsung does - therefore, you know it's b-die. At least, Samsung is still using it and it works well with Ryzen systems.

The question I have is what if you buy the sticks separately and then use them in dual channel. Will it be as good? Sometimes, you see a decent price for one stick - of 8gb that I think is b-die.

Another question, what if you can't get hynix ram memory to the specified speed? Does it make sense to sell it and go for b-die? I guess not. But, I would want at least 2933 mhz or you are 'wasting' some speed.

fluffy57 submitter 1 point 2 months ago

Thanks!

I thought the Ryzen boards all updated their BIOS to work with non-Samsung die memory now.... ???? In other words, if you bought 3200ghz ram that isn't Samsung b-die, you should be able to get to that speed (overclocked, obviously), right?

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

I think the choice of b-die has more to do with headroom than the BIOS tunings. b-die seems to be more capable of higher speeds, so with properly binned b-die sticks the BIOS and/or motherboard can be a little inexact and they still run. The other chips are a lot closer to their inherent limits running at high speeds and tight timings, so you have to drive them exactly right or they won't clock that high. There is no intrinsic reason that I know of that a well designed and binned non-b-die stick couldn't work at decent speeds in a Ryzen board.

It depends what you consider decent speeds?

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

pretty much anything over 2666 would be decent IMO. The difference between 2666 and 3200CL14 is really only a few percentage points in real usage.