• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

guest_999 2 months ago

I am planning on building a cheap multimedia pc using Intel pentium G4560 on a very tight budget.This build is only going to be used for browsing & video playing.However the videos I am going to play are going to be high bitrate with no hardware acceleration support.I am a bit concerned about this so asking anyone here with a G4560 to do a small test.

This is a test video clip having ~20mbps overall bit rate with 10bit h264 with dual audio & multiple subtitle tracks. Those having G4560,can you please download & play(no streaming in browser as that is not original quality but a lower quality re-encoded version) it to tell me how much cpu it uses.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WkCMGs2dCgsiuzDwFPv9Tsr-mKm_qKZo/view?usp=sharing

Comments Sorted by:

mark5916 2 points 2 months ago

I do not have an G4560, but i have a G3240.

That's an dual core processor without hyper threading.

If i get home, i can disconnect my dedicated GPU and try to run it.

Just give me your confirmation.

If it runs with my CPU, it will definitely run better with yours. :)

• I noted down your user profile, and i will reply with an PM to you, or on that topic if i find it. lol
guest_999 submitter 1 point 2 months ago

That would be really helpful,please do so & let me know the result.

mark5916 1 point 2 months ago

Yes, i will do in a couple of hours (unless someone does it faster than me, lol), because it's 7:46 in the morning, and i can barely keep my eyes open. :-P

I have a G3260 btw. lol

https://imgur.com/a/m4uCTrS

No problem,take as much time as you need.:)

Okay, so i did the testing!

Actually i couldn't see any difference on the CPU usage with and without a GPU.

I have a Nvidia GTX 660 btw, yeah pretty old, i know...lol

So, with a GPU, the CPU usage was between 30%-40%

Without a GPU and with VGA drivers only (so not any kind of acceleration form the IGP), the CPU usage was the same.

So, again between 30%-40% usage.

After all this, your CPU usage (with the G4560) should be lower than that.

In all two cases, that high bit-rate MKV video did play without any kind of problems.

Hope, that helps a bit. :)

Thanks! This clip has 10bit h264 video which is not hardware decoding supported so a gfx card/igpu doesn't matter as it is only decoded by cpu. You can use igpu/gfx card,it won't matter for testing.

This 30-40% cpu usage was for entire system or just for video player process? The thing is I use madvr renderer & using that adds ~25% cpu usage to video player process.

TimonStacy 2 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

ya it will work fine I did not have a Pentium G4560 but I do have a ryzen 5 2600 so I disabled 4 cores and underclocked it to 3.5ghz and I used an rx 460 4gb and 8gb ram now the CPU stade at the low 20 to max the 40% but it only ever got 40% when I skipped through things and the rx 460 was only at 1-3% so the Pentium G4560 will do great with no stutter i hope this hellped

Malarky006 1 point 2 months ago

I think the G4560 has better single core performance than the 2600, so the G4560 will be even better than what your test suggests

TimonStacy 2 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

ya just by a little bit

Thanks for the test. I hope G4560 has lower cpu usage than yours with 4 disabled cores. Btw gfx card usage will be nil for this clip as it has 10bit h264 video which has no hardware decoding support.

The R2600 has a slightly better single core performance than the G4560.

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/Intel/Pentium_Gold_G5600/images/cinebench_single.png

Malarky006 1 point 2 months ago

Wow. That's really cool. I'm glad AMD's patching up the first gen Ryzen weak points

Yeah, that was one of the negative aspects of the previous gen Ryzen processors.

Of course keep in mind, the latest Ryzen 2 processor have a greater single threaded stock and boost clock potential as well.

So that adds up, to the better single threaded score of those processors.

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

I have a Pentium G4600 in my HTPC and the 2 differences is 100mhz faster which is hardly anything but Intel HD 630 graphics instead of 610. Now both CPUs through the motherboard supports HDMI 1.4 so with 1080p video you should be fine doing 60 fps but if you want to do 4k video on the TV you will be limited to 30 fps. The GT 1030 graphics card is actually the one to aim for if you want a 4k 60 fps video playing experience as it has HDMI 2.0. That video card can play back videos at that resolution and frame rate since you did state that you are not gaming with. At least you can always upgrade by adding the video card later on when you want to use a 4k TV.

Thanks for the reply! Can you please download the clip & play it using your video player software to tell me how much cpu does the video player process uses? This clip has 10bit h264 video which can not be hardware decoded by any gfx card or igpu hence the importance of cpu.

I am at work right now so when I get home I can. I can test it with the igpu and with a RX 470 GPU too. Though my TV is only 1080p so I can't test 4k. Though on my youtube channel I do have gaming videos I posted myself and I primarily encode my videos in that same format @ 1080p 60 fps and I know those play fine on either of my 2 PCs. I got GPUz as well so I can also tell you what GPU usage is looking like too on the igpu when I get home. The HD 630 is about 70-80% faster than the 610 so if it stays under 60% GPU utilization which I am sure it will be under then 610 should handle it just fine.

GPU utilization will be close to nil assuming no other process utilizing gpu(card or igpu). This video has 10bit h264 which is unsupported by hardware manufacturers,even NVidia shield TV use cpu processing & not its gfx hardware to decode 10bit h264 videos. 8bit h264/8bit h265/10bit h265 all can be hardware decoded using supported gfx card or igpu so those videos are no issue for me as I own a 1050.

Well if you are not concerned about gpu or igpu usage then this video playing made the CPU bounce from 15-25% usage so about an average of 20%. It was using so little CPU power the CPU didn't even have to crank up to its full 3.6 GHz as you will see in the screenshot I took.

https://imgur.com/a/LmPS3SH

My CPU is only ~3% faster than yours from being 3.6 GHz over 3.5 GHz so your usage on the CPU may only be off by a couple of % at worse. I split CPU usage to logical threads so you can see what each core was doing and this kind of workload can span across all 4 threads really well.

Thanks for the reply! That's a great result. I see you are using win 10 & vlc. I use madvr renderer which will probably add ~10-20%(maybe depending on OS being 7 or 8.1/10) on top of this so even then I should be on the safe side with enough headroom if I build a new system with G4560.