• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

yawner42 2 days ago

I need some cooling for this, originally I was going to go with liquid cooling before I realized the maintenance needed, and I decided against water cooling after what was said if they failed. I was told that air cooling does just as well, but I don't know what I need. I plan on overclocking, and the cheaper the better, no more than $150, under $75 would be ideal. I wanted to order tomorrow, but that might not be happening anymore.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor $347.79 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $189.49 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Team - Dark Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $179.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $195.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $46.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AMP Extreme Video Card $798.99 @ B&H
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass (Gray) ATX Full Tower Case $129.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg Business
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.89 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer - Predator XB272 bmiprz 27.0" 1920x1080 240Hz Monitor $499.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse $59.99 @ B&H
Headphones Kingston - HyperX Cloud Alpha Headset $99.99 @ Amazon
UPS Tripp Lite - SMART1300LCDT UPS $118.42 @ Amazon
Other Corsair Gaming K95 RGB PLATINUM Mechanical Keyboard, Cherry MX Speed, Black (CH-9127014-NA) $198.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3045.29
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $3015.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-12 19:25 EDT-0400

Comments Sorted by:

Shakaron 4 Builds 1 point 2 days ago

Please, have a look at these coolers:

They are in decreasing order of cooling performance (and price). That being said the Cryorig H7 is still capable of providing cooling for a decent overclock, so if you want to save money and you don't mind a bit higher temperature or lower clock speed, it's a good choice.

yawner42 submitter 1 point 2 days ago

Thanks! I think I'll put in the Scythe Mugen because of price and color if you want to know

esotken 1 Build 1 point 2 days ago

And if you want, its easy to do a dual fan configuration with the mugen 5 as well. Push/pull could improve things even more.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 2 days ago

The Scythe Mugen 5. Its on par with stuff like the D15 for a bargain price

ChipHanson 1 Build 0 points 1 day ago

You cannot go wrong with the tried and true 212 Evo for $24.00....plus it comes with an led fan all for added eye candy! It's sexy in a case with a window..Don't forget a thin layer of Arctic Silver and ensure the fan pushes air out the back of the PC (Really important tip).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - Hyper 212 LED 66.3 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler $24.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $34.89
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $24.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-14 01:08 EDT-0400

Just look at the benchmark numbers in this review...this thing is a BEAST! Review: https://www.anandtech.com/show/10500/stock-cooler-roundup-intel-amd-vs-evo-212/7

More proof about the Hyper 212 Evo's cooling capabilities...Oh, and ECPU comparing this against two H20 coolers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_NZBEA66BA

LostElement 4 Builds 1 point 1 day ago

A cryorig M9i is smaller, cheaper, quieter, and easier to install. No point in getting a 212 EVO.

First Off, it's a cheaper, Chinese, copy-cat version of the CM 212, it has a 92mm fan, YUK! , Limited socket support and it looks cheap, so I wouldn't want that in a system with a window. It lacks an LED. Common Brah!

Easier to install....lol....only if mentally challenged.

First Off, it's a cheaper, Chinese, copy-cat version of the CM 212

Uh... what? No. I've handled both coolers. The Cryorig M9i is higher quality?

it has a 92mm fan

And?

Limited socket support and it looks cheap

It supports all current Intel processors. The M9a supports almost all AMD sockets. Even AM2 sockets.

and it looks cheap

Looks cheap, feels quality while only being 20$

so I wouldn't want that in a system with a window.

That's your opinion

It lacks an LED.

So? A lot of coolers do. Doesn't affect anything other than flair.

Easier to install....lol....only if mentally challenged.

No, it's easier to install. I can attest to this. Are you calling me mentally challenged?

92mm fans suck! Hard to find a replacement, just try to find a purple LED 92mm fan. Furthermore, they spin at higher speed = Loud and Time-of-Failure happens sooner than a 120mm.

Flair is everything brah! People get all goo goo over my Disco builds!

Cryorig M9i is a copy-cat cooler...if I was Cooler Master I would sue Cryorig for copyright infringement... I won't buy something that rips off the original... Obviously you will, that tells me a lot about your character.

You said it was easier to install. All I'm saying is I can install a 212 blindfolded...if you think it's hard to install, well, what should I deduce? That your a genius? I apologize in advance if you have a handicap.

Support:....Key word, you said it yourself, "ALMOST fits all AMD sockets".

Now, can we just be friends?

92mm fans suck! Hard to find a replacement, just try to find a purple LED 92mm fan. Furthermore, they spin at higher speed = Loud and Time-of-Failure happens sooner than a 120mm.

Except... the fan is quieter than the 212? Speaking from Personal[ Experience.

Flair is everything brah! People get all goo goo over my Disco builds!

That's an opinion. Not everyone shares it.

Cryorig M9i is a copy-cat cooler...if I was Cooler Master I would sue Cryorig for copyright infringement... I won't buy something that rips off the original... Obviously you will, that tells me a lot about your character.

What? Then you might as well sue Thermalright, Scythe, Corsair, and literally everyone who makes an HSF. The M9 design differs from the 212, they share no design similarities other than it having a fan, heatpipes, heat fins. This statement is simply preposterous.

You said it was easier to install. All I'm saying is I can install a 212 blindfolded...if you think it's hard to install, well, what should I deduce? That your a genius? I apologize in advance if you have a handicap.

I never said the 212 was hard to install. I am saying that the M9 is easier to install than the 212.

Support:....Key word, you said it yourself, "ALMOST fits all AMD sockets".

Well, it's not going to support the ancient athlon processors. You know, a time before IHS were standard on CPUs? The 212 doesn't support it either. The M9 can go on all the sockets that the 212 can go on. Niether the 212 or the m9 can go on TR4, however.