• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

NJL10 4 months ago

Hey everyone,

Just built a new PC and everything seems to be running smoothly except for this incredibly annoying and headache inducing sound. No components are under strain as I’ve literally done nothing but turn on the computer. I tried to pinpoint where it’s coming from, thought maybe it was the psu from reading about coil whine. Pulled it out and listened to it, definitely not coming from there. Took out the gpu also and still the sound is there. Unplugged speakers, still there. This sounds nothing like a buzz or vibration either, just a straight up frequency. All of the parts are brand new and straight out of the box so it wouldn’t be a case of something being too old. Any ideas anyone??

Comments Sorted by:

jakeSpot 2 Builds 1 point 4 months ago

Does it only happen on start up, and goes away after the PC boots? Have you unplugged all the case fans and tried the sound? How about your hard disk? Sometimes there can be that sound you're describing coming from the HDD too.

If not, the last moving part I can think of is the CPU cooler, unless the sound is actual electrical resistance (extremely unlikely).

NJL10 submitter 1 point 4 months ago

The sound is there until I turn off the computer unfortunately. Speakers and sound are working perfectly. I will take a look at the CPU cooler and HDD; I also have a SSD though, maybe it could be coming from there too? Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

Unless your SSD shorting out / receiving bad power from a bad PSU, or if it's disintegrating into a million pieces, it doubt it should be the SSD. What brand and model is your PSU?

Oh sorry I should have clarified. Have you unplugged all the case fans and listened to the sound your PC makes?

EDIT: Also, try plugging your computer without a surge protector into another outlet in your house. Make sure that outlet it on another breaker circuit. Keep us updated :)

Ahhh the sweet sound of silence - it was my hard drive. Sucks that I have to replace it but this is definitely best case scenario. Woohoo!

Edit: Thanks for the help!

Glad you got it fixed! :D

Do you think this is something I can warranty? I know these things usually have manufacturer warranty but I didn’t buy any extended coverage and it does still technically work as it should.

How long ago did you buy it? If it's not an OEM drive they probably are under a 2 year warranty. They will likely happily send you a replacement or at least a partial refund.

Examples:

• WD Blue 1TB: 2 yrs
  • Seagate Barracuda 1TB: 2 yrs
  • Toshiba 1TB: 2 yrs

I purchased it less than a month ago. It’s a WD Blue 1TB, got it from Newegg.

treloar 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

It'd be good if you told us what your hardware specs are!

I imagine your getting cap squeal from capacitors on your motherboard, what's the brand and model?

Sorry, I always forget to link the build. Mobo is ASRock Z370 Pro4.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/NJL10/saved/

treloar 1 Build 1 point 4 months ago

Can you record the sound and upload it to a file host and post the link?