add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheapest cooler for Overclocking.

thisGuy97

71 months ago

I am buying the last parts for my build and I want to get a CPU cooler so I can overclock. I don't have much money left in my budget, so I'm wondering if someone could maybe recommend a good cheap CPU cooler.

Thanks!

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 2 points

I would not try to do budget overclocking. If you end up with an unreliable or insufficient cooler it could cost you your CPU.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know of a good water cooler that's not too expensive? Maybe one that can get me past 4 GHz

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

An air cooler can easily get you past 4Ghz. You don't need water cooling for that

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Let's say I get something like the NZXT Kraken x40, how much do you think I could OC?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on your CPU. Overclocking is pretty much dependent on the silicon lottery, but with that cooler, you'd probably be limited by voltage before you'd begin to get limited by temps.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks for the help!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on what CPU you have; there are many CPUs that are at or near 4GHz (like the FX-8350) and don't require water cooling. If you let me know what CPU you have and its out-of-box clock speed, I can give you a recommendation.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! My CPU is the i5 3570k (3.4GHz), and I have the NZXT Kraken x40 as the CPU cooler. I just don't know if that is an appropriate cooler, or what kind of speeds I'll get

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

That should get you top 4GHz. If you are going beyond 4GHz, I'd go with the Corsair H100i. It is about $100, but a cheaper 240mm liquid cooler could leak, which would require repairs far more expensive than $100.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will take the 3570k to 4GHz no problem. 30.0° C while idle, and 60.0° C under load. And it's only for 30 bucks. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

• 71 months ago
  • -1 points

This is also a good option, its a bit quieter and easier to install from my experience and its the same price, or only a few dollars more.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think that one could get me to about 4 GHz too?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Its pretty much the same thing as a 212 evo, but with a better fan.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Depends on the CPU, sometimes the quality can be ****** and you ll never know until you overclock. If you don't mind higher temps either you could go beyond 4GHz.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

nzxt respire t40 easy to install

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

You already have a water cooler in your setup; are you just trying to cut costs at this point?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, I got a bit higher of a budget by putting down a less expensive GPU, to make room for a water cooler so I can over-clock better

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube