PCPartPicker

• Register

How-to move OS between different drives?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

RainOfPain125 8 months ago

Soon I'm going to get a nice m.2 SSD and I was wondering how could I install windows on it, and uninstall windows on the other drive or just move the files over, etc. I have tons of drivers installed and have done tons of tweaks, and I'd love to keep it the way it is.

Comments Sorted by:

Merlac 3 Builds 2 points 8 months ago

Easiest way is to clone the drive. The easiest way to achieve that is to get a hard drive dock which supports both M.2 and your old drive (SATA?). These docks are usually around 30 $/€. Then you just plug your old drive into source slot and the new M.2 drive into target slot and either clone it in the dock itself or use some software, depending on your dock model.

This is usually done when both drives are the same size, but it can also be done from smaller to larger or larger to smaller drive, as long as the used space of the source drive can fit into the target drive.

After the process is complete (only takes few minutes), you should have two drives with identical contents and you can just install the M.2 into your PC and make it boot drive. Then continue like nothing happened.

RainOfPain125 submitter 1 point 8 months ago

I was hoping to see more of a software approach to this - IE, said software could just copy the type of files I want to copy (system files, drivers, settings and none of my personal files) to the M.2, and then once booted into the M.2 could be used to delete said files off the other drive. - Sorta how the process you're explaining does, except without an external dongle or device to do it for me.

Is there any way? I don't want to copy whats on my hard drive to the M.2, especially since my hard drive is 1TB and is virtually full to the brim and my M.2 SSD is only 500GB.

Morgan123 2 points 8 months ago

Hello,

Option #2

This first video is a little dated but should give you the general idea of the process to install Windows 10 on an M.2 SSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pEcevfDM0g

This is where you go to download a free copy of windows 10, install it on an USB Flash Drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This is the process of activation for Windows 10 prior to you installing Windows 10, so you won't need to purchase a product key, or buy software.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Questions?

RainOfPain125 submitter 1 point 8 months ago

Well, I already knew how to install windows 10 through the windows media creation tool, though thankyou for showing that video - I didn't know I'd have to do a little extra for an M.2 to be booted up into. Though this doesn't exactly answer my question regarding how I would move over my registry edits, driver installations, custom windows settings, etc from my hard drive to my new M.2 boot drive.