add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair 250D non-overclocked-- need liquid cooler?

chaddasaurus

70 months ago

Anyone know whether I'm going to need to get a liquid cooler for this build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/36z1p

It's a small case, but I'm not going to overclock. It'd be nice to save the $100 on a liquid cooler.

Once I build it next weekend, how will I know whether things are running too hot? I can download Speccy and it will tell me temperatures, but where do I determine the actual temperature that is too hot for a component?

Comments

• 70 months ago
  • 3 points

You won't necessarily need a liquid cooler if you don't mind higher temps and more noise. As for "too hot" that's really up to you. Some people feel comfortable with temps up to 80C, others aren't. Definitely don't go over 90C though.

• 70 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

I thought I read that increased temperatures lowers the lifespan of the PSUby wearing out some chemicals a little quicker. Are there any other components that are likely to have shortened lifespan at high temperatures?

• 70 months ago
  • 2 points

Most of your components will obviously have reduced lifespans if you subject them to high temps. Most important ones are probably your GPU and CPU, although as long as you have a cooler, you'll be fine

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube