add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Old Asus P8P67 WS Revolution board won't work with Sandy Bridge chips

jimmybud

19 months ago

I bought this board brand new back in the day and it served me well until Thanksgiving 2016. A game was being run and then the system just shut down. When I tried rebooting the system I would get a One long-3 short beep error code. I tried to clear the CMOS, different RAM, different GPU, out of the case, different PSU, you name it. While I did all this troubleshooting I had a Core i7 2600k installed.

The I bought a BIOS chip. After that I managed the get the system to give me a single beep, then it would start with the One long-3 short beep code again. Then I got one of those PCI-E x16 to x1 Risers and I actually got the system to work. In this time I tried not only the Core i7-2600k, but also I tried a Core i5-2500k, and a Pentium g645. None of the regular PCI-E x16 lanes would work but the PCI-E x1 lanes work fine.

Today, I obtained a Core i7-3770. Not the K version. I brought out the old P67 WS board, installed the 3770, and then I installed an old 5870 into the Primary PCI-E x16 slot. And, the board fired up just fine with the PCI-E x16 slot is working with the 3770 installed. Then I tried a R9 390x and that worked too in the primary PCI-E x16 slot. I tested everything and it seems to work fine.

Then I tried the 2500k to see if it was some fluke but the 2500k wouldn't work without giving me the beep error code. Then I reinstalled the 3770 and the system is working fine again.

My questions is, why would a P67 board work fine with an Ivy Bridge CPU but not a Sandy Bridge CPU? I assume the board is degraded somehow but it doesn't make sense to me. Does it have to do with SB using PCI-E 2.0 lanes while IB uses PCI-E 3.0 lanes. This board has an NF200 chip that's supposed to expand the PCI-E lanes. Does that have something to do with the problems?

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube