add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help deciding on a PSU please.

Kev79
  • 73 months ago

I'm thinking of getting a Zalman ZM-1 MicroATX mini tower (only because someone recommended it to me in a build) and something which was also recommended was a 430W semi-modular PSU, but the price of that PSU has gone up and I can't find an affordable one (on a $600 budget), so I'm wondering... is anyone else using the same or similar tower with a non-modular PSU, and if so, does it reduce the airflow, or are there any other significant disadvantages? Is getting the semi-modular PSU going to make much of a difference? Or maybe I should get a different tower altogether, such as a mid tower, and just go with a non-modular PSU? If it helps at all to know what my build might look like, I will gladly post it. Decisions, decisions!

I did find this article ( http://www.tomshardware.com/news/power-supplies-psu,8016.html ) that has me leaning toward a non-modular, in which case, I have no idea what tower to get, or if I should just stick with the one that was recommended. Any thoughts? Much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points
  • If intent on using that case, just use tie-wraps for the unused cables and place them out of sight.
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

No, definitely not intent on using it, only reason it's in the build is because it was included in one of my first recommended builds. I'm all for some other suggestions. I was told basically, why should I get a large case when I won't need the room. But, I'm a first time builder, so I really don't know to be honest

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

Since you intend to use a micro-ATX mobo, there is no need for a full tower. However, keep in mind that the smaller the case, the more PITA it can be working in/around it. If you have a really tight budget, you can consider something like the Antec NSK4100. It's nothing to write home about and there will be additional noise due to vibration like all budget cases but should get the job done with minimal amount of cursing involved during the build process.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I'm fine with paying the $27.99 for the Zalman microATX mini case; I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't have too much trouble with it. I mean, I'm good with my hands, so I think I could handle it. Even if there's a little swearing involved..haha

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

I certainly want to try and avoid a noisy computer as much as I possibly can, so I wouldn't want to get a tower that's gonna be vibrating and what not

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Not aware of any budget cases that does not have contributing noise issues due to vibration.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Nonmodular is usually cheaper, while modular is more expensive but allows for cleaner cable management. You are choosing a fairly small case, meaning there will be not much space to store your cables. If you're okay with leaving them visible at the bottom of your case, nonmodular could save you some money.

Messy cables could result in dust buildup and restricted airflow if your fans are near the wires. It's just something to consider. Usually, I don't go modular because I think I'm fairly good at managing cables, but if you're not as confident, modular might be the way to go.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Another thing real quick, since I am in the 'power supplies' section of this forum; I was just told by someone on another site that the PSU that I have chosen is garbage (Corsair CX430W 80+ Bronze), but I don't see why. Someone else told me it would be fine for the 750 Ti. Sure, it's not top of the line PSU, but is it really garbage?

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points
  • A number of techs got burned, some literally, in the past by using Channel Well Technology (CWT) power supplies, hence their mistrust of CWT. Others were embarrassed since they installed it in their client's system, where it failed in matter of months.
  • Even if their design and/or quality control has improved, CWT still tests/rates that particular model at a rather low temperature of 30°C. Depending on ambient temperature and such, temperature inside a power supply can easily exceed 30°C even under normal load.
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

So you're saying I might want to choose a better power supply? What about this one that someone suggested? http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-100b10500kr (EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze psu)? Is there a certain PSU that you would recommend?

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

I leave that decision up to the individuals who have to fork over their cash. There are others who really trust that brand/model. If you're asking whether I trust CWT, no, I do not. Generally, the Seasonic brand or re-brand (e.g. XFX) is usually a safe choice. When Corsair first got into the power supply business, all of their upper end models were re-branded Seasonic.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you saying the EVGA one is CWT too? I don't know too much about any of this, so I'm gettin kinda lost.. haha

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

The EVGA is not manufactured by CWT. The oem for that model is HEC and is rated/tested at 40°C, which is better but the quality of the components and workmanship is really entry level. A review.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube