add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I7-8700k 4400mhz then 800MHZ then back to 4400MHZ normal?

Concretequeen359-
  • 19 months ago

My CAM software says the CPU intel Core i7-8700K is jumping from 800MHZ to 4400MHZ then jumping back down to 800MHZ. Constantly. it just jumped to 4600MHZ....is this normal? The temp is fine, it jumps up the same time the MHZ jumps up. How do I stop this? I dont overclock and dont want to. Is this software acurate? Is my CPU going bad? It never jumped liked this in the past. It always stayed at 4400MHZ. I dont see a decimal point so that is what it says. CLOCK SPEED 4400MHZ. In the past month it started the jumping around.

Z370XP SLI Gigabyte Bios F5

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

its a power saving and auto boost feature. totally normal and totally fine.

if you REALLY want to stop it then change your windows power plan to keep the cpu at 100% all the time. Then you should always be at 3700 or boosting higher. if you REALLY REALLY don't want it to use the boost thing then set the windows power plan to 99% min and max... (but please don't do this as the boosting is a nice thing you really do want. And really the auto downclocking to save power and heat is also something that you typically want)

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

phew! thank you xbiker12. No I don't want to stop it...Just making sure it's ok and normal.... Thank you for your kind answer.

[comment deleted]
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

no, I would not dare to fiddle with something I dont have a clue about. When I first built my computer it did not jump around, so thank you for relieving my mind that it's normal. I love my Gigabyte motherboard and the 8700 has met ALL my demands on it with speed and reliability. Thanks for answering my question!

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the time to reply to my question. It has been a question on my mind for a while. If it had been doing it all along since the beginning I would not have been concerned. You are kind to help out a newbee, who was just thanking Jesus (seriously) that it turned on and actually worked!

[comment deleted]
  • 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I recorded me turning it on for the first time and doing a "thank you Jesus" dance all over the living room!!! ha. I'm gonna upload my build one day to youtube if i can find the little itty bitty card with the video on it!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube