• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

RainOfPain125 8 months ago

A friend of mine has a computer filled with DDR3 RAM of all types of different speeds, CAS latency's, timings, and his computer doesn't blue screen or crash or anything during normal use. He's had it in his computer for two years. How is this even possible? People were telling me that you can't mix different RAM types, you cant mix speeds, you cant mix cas latency, you cant mix timings, and etc yet his build is working.

I simply don't understand this.

Comments Sorted by:

mark5916 4 points 8 months ago

You can have modules with different brands, different timings and different speeds.

The system will most probably work in single channel mode, and memory speed will be determined by the slowest DIMM module populated in the memory slot.

But there is a high chance that some boards will not recognize such a configuration.

Your friend was just lucky. It's mostly board related.

RainOfPain125 submitter 1 point 8 months ago

Thanks for all your replies. I basically summed up your comments as something like a RAID array. The fast drives will just go as fast as the slowest drive.

mark5916 1 point 8 months ago

Yeah, more or less a similar situation.

However, a RAID array will work even with different drive speeds or different storage capacities, some boards with different kind of ram sticks may not. ;)

darthfutuza 1 Build 1 point 8 months ago

A lot of motherboards will just cap the RAM speeds to the lowest common denominator, so while they might be faster slots, they'll run at the slowest RAM in the motherboard at the time.

Thanks for all your replies. I basically summed up your comments as something like a RAID array. The fast drives will just go as fast as the slowest drive.

[comment deleted]

[comment deleted]