add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU fans stop after few seconds, no signal on screen

niki2907

19 months ago

Hi guys!

I just built a new PC and the moment I start it, the CPU and additional fans start running, but the GPU fans stop after a few seconds (the RGB lighting is working, the powersupply is also working)

It doesn't even boot or anything, it's like I didn't plug in the DisplayPort cable into my computer (which I plugged into my graphics card) - double checked with HDMI

I also checked the Parts on pcpartpicker and it didn't show any problems there

---The Parts:

Motherboard :

• Asus X370 Pro

CPU:

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700

GPU:

• Asus STRIX Radeon RX570

DIMM/RAM:

• Hyperx Fury 2400hz 2x8GB

PSU:

• Corsair CX500M

I think, my power supply may be too low, since I used it in a previous build. Further, the GPU is powered up, and a little LED thingy turned from red to white when I hooked it up to the power supply (and after the boot, the fans on the GPU stop after ~3 seconds, the rest works just fine)

I got the motherboard pre-owned, but I'm convinced it works fine. Also, the User before me probably overclocked, does that mean I have to reset the BIOS?

Thx for helping!!

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Modern gpu's have a setting to only turn on fans once the gpu reaches a certain temperature. Im on the web and my gpu fans aren't spinning unless im playing intense gaming. For the display side of things you may need a cmos jumper cap found here on amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cmos+jumper+cap&sprefix=cmos+cap%2Caps%2C141&crid=3LOZ8FMTIOWE8&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acmos+jumper+cap basically you put the cap on the 2 or 3 tiny pins located somewhere on the motherboard usually labelled clrmos for 4 secs when the pc is unplugged with no power then take it off and power the pc on. This should reset the motherboard and fix it. When I first built my pc I had to do this I had the same problem with no display port signal:

Heres a video showing you how to do it if you don't know its old but it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9RnIj-EcdQ

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a whole lot!! Was already expecting this, trying after work

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need a CMOS Jumper Cap, just use a screwdriver. Page 1-9, find those pins and then make them connect with eachother using the screwdriver, by touching both pins at the same time with the screwdriver head.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

yes but that can be risky and has been known to cause damage

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

What? No it doesn't. It's literally the same as doing it with a cap, except you don't have to pay for it. The cap is basically just a metal piece that you stick on the two pins, connecting them, and then with some plastic on it to make it easy to use. A screwdriver is literally the same thing, except with a different shape.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

dude a cap is like 2 quid and its safer

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

ok hope it helps

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

So yeah, I tried a bunch of stuff

1. I checked the RAM (one stick into every Slot)
  2. Removed GPU to make sure it's not my GPU/PSU Watt
  3. Did a CMOS reset, soft with Jumper and hard with battery removal
  4. Made sure the Front connectors are hooked up fine

NONE OF THIS WORKED

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

I am seriously running out of ideas

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

And I 'm pretty sure I did it right

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have a replacement graphics card which could be used to test it?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, but it doesn't even work with stock graphics after I removed it completely

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

oh then sorry I don't know you must have a falty parts

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube