add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Seemingly random crashes

nonoesimposible
  • 19 months ago

Edit: Since this is related to hardware, possibly more than software, I thought I'd post it here.

During the last weeks or so, my computer suddenly shuts itself down and reboots itself. I'm thinking it might be a hardware issue, considering this error I get while it boots up again:

$ sudo journalctl -b -0 | grep PROCESSOR
Jul 28 22:15:11 shadowfax kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 
2:800f11 TIME 1532837709 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 8001129

It seems to happen when I'm browsing on Chrome dev, but that could just be coincidence since I'm doing that most of the time...

Of course, if you're wondering, I do have the latest versions of everything.

I'm using GNOME with gdm, and the Nvidia drivers packaged with Arch.

Type Item
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard MSI - B350M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Tactical 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
Storage Corsair - Force MP500 120GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Low Profile Video Card
Case Corsair - Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-29 00:33 EDT-0400

Log files: https://ptpb.pw/Vq-P

Comments

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

This topic has been moved from "General > Off Topic" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Have you checked if your mobo has any bent pins on the socket?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

No, I haven't...although I'm hesitant to check, because I had a lot of trouble installing the Ryzen stock cooler, for whatever reason...

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

That's fine ~ let's do some basic troubleshooting first:

• Use only one stick of RAM
  • No other non-neccesarry hardware
  • Boot into safe mode

Does it still crash?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Boot into safe mode

How do you do that? I thought that was a Windows-only thing.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Whoops.. forgot about linux ~ in that case, just skip that step.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, I only had one stick at the beginning anyway, so the only remaining step is to remove all my dongles and such.

I will keep you updated, but it will be kind of slow since it only happens once every other day or so.

Also of note is that it sometimes freezes for a few seconds before it crashes. Maybe I should try moving my RAM speed back to 2400 MHz, although that would hurt my 1300X's performance a bit.

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Have you done the usual BIOS incantations: disable C6 state and set Power Supply Idle Control to Typical Current Idle. (the latter setting is under AMD CBS -> Zen Common Options.) If you don't see something that sounds like Power Supply Idle Control, you might want to see if your board has a newer BIOS available.

Or it could be an nvidia thing. I glanced over the logs and didn't see anything obvious.

Or it could be something broken. There should be more about the MCE entry either in journalctl or dmesg, what you quoted was only part of the entry.

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

You might have more luck in the troubleshooting section?

• 19 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh no....whoops. I'll try dm'ing manirelli and see if he's willing to move it. ?

• 19 months ago
  • 2 points

Usually staff get on this when they're online

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube