add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

M.2 SSD slow boot time

Arch87

18 months ago

I'm having a slow boot issue using windows 10 i tried most of the fixes i found online with no use i did a clean reinstall for windows 10 and it got a bit better it used to boot 20-25second and after windows reinstall it takes 16-18seconds...Last bios time is 11seconds as showing in task manager, I updated the bios and turned on ultra fast boot,,disabled CSM,,and in windows turned on fast boot,,updated drivers,,disabled all programmes at start up and most of services,,what your thoughts on trying to fix this?

Windows 10 64 home.. I7 8700k.. 16gb ddr4 3000mhz. Gigabyte Z370XP Sli.. GTX 1080ti single card.. OS drive C ADATA SX6000 PCIE M.2 256 GB.. Drive D SSD.. Drive E HDD..

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

16sec!! Seems fine by me

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Hello,

I just checked mine, 15 seconds from the time I hit the power to a usable Desktop. 15 seconds to turn completely off. And 30 seconds to restart.

How fast do your need yours to be?

Prior to the new install of Windows, how much space was left on your 256GB SSD?

SSD's slow down considerably if they approach over 80% of their total capacity.

Have you run a SSD diagnostic tool yet to make sure your drive is healthy?

Here is some good free utilities to use to check drive health:

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/SSDlife-Free.shtml

23 seconds is an average boot time from an SSD to boot to Windows.

SSD's get faster as they get larger, so if you want the best SSD for speed, then you'll also want something bigger than "just big enough for windows."

Also, in order to realize a good step up in performance from a SATA/AHCI SSD, you'll have to step up to a PCIE/NVME SSD. This can be M.2 form factor, but not all M.2 form factors are PCIE/NVME SSD's, so be careful.

PCIE is an interface. It is faster than SATA.

M.2 is a form factor / slot that supports both SATA and PCIE interfaces within the same connection.

AHCI and NVME are communication protocols. AHCI is older and slower, and can be found on both SATA and some PCIE/M.2 SSD's. NVME is newer and faster, and can only be found on some PCIE/M.2 SSD's.

There are several options in BIOS on modern machines that can be adjusted to speed up the initial boot sequence. Might be able to shave off a few seconds there.

If the 16 seconds time is from from a cold boot, majority of the time may be due to POST process which has nothing to do with the SSD speed.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

im sorry i havent mentioned its a PCIE NVME SSD..Im thinking 16sec is long because i saw most ppl online with NVME PCIE saying it takes around 8 to10sec..i checked the drive health with crystaldiskinfo everything looks fine here are the results https://imgur.com/a/SCp2xwR what other options in bios you think that may affect the boot time?

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't see any problem you already have a NVME SSD but this only improves boot time by 0.5 to 1 second over a regular SSD. Your motherboard must go through a boot process checking components then it loads windows.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

sorry havent mention its a NVME PCIE SSD,,Seeing most ppl with same ssd type online having a shorter boot time led me to think mine is slow.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Some motherboards take a few seconds longer to go through the boot sequence. I can say mine takes 5 seconds to boot and can even make a video of it but that doesn't mean it's true.

Look at this video the regular SSD actually beat the M.2, note the boot time was 35 seconds. No telling how many processes he had on startup. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdF_aerWcW8

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

5 seconds ! Call Guinness. xD

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

5 seconds is not my boot time is more in the 15 area, just saying I could say any amount of time, make a video of it, edit down to that amount of time and post it LOL.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

LOL, I saw a guy early today on Tom's Hardware boosting about his 8.5 second Boot.

I more than happy with my extreme snail speed boot of 15 seconds.

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

How full is your NVMe drive and what SSD is it specifically?

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Okay if it's the Adata SX6000, that isn't exactly a good SSD to be honest... Also I'd recommend leaving about 20% of your SSD free if you haven't already, so that means it should be 80% full or less.

Like the others have said though, 16 seconds is pretty normal from what I remember...

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Only 35 gb used

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

It seems i been misled and thought there was an issue with my PC..Thank you all for your time.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube