add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Way to Back Up

TheWalkingGeek
  • 72 months ago

Hello folks,

I'm about to build a computer for music creation for my dad within the next couple of months. The budget will be in the $500-$700 range.

He is very paranoid when it comes to losing data. I was thinking that I could use Windows 7's or 8's built in software raid system. Then I read that there was a possibility of the software RAID going wrong and losing all data (this would be raid 1 btw). I then was thinking that this could be combined with an online backup that syncs up every 24 hours. Is software raid decent enough for this use?

My dad was really into using a Bluray as a means of backing up. With CDs and DVDs, my dad use to spend HOURS burning the disks. I've just never trusted these and Blurays alike for burning data. What are your guy's opinions on using Blurays for backing up music projects?

He currently uses time machine on another computer. It is a built-in mac program for backing up. This is very simple and seems to work very well. Are there programs like it for Windows? Would that combined with a decent online backup be the best option?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

constantly backing up to the internet seems like a pain and if you are not into using software for raid you could get a raid card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124060 only 42$ and it supports raid 0/1/10

but i dislike backing up to the internet

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Only $42? I thought it would be a lot more. I will definitely check it out.

Backing up would be a pain I guess, unless if it was done automcatically.

How does that raid card compare to software raid?

EDIT: I have since done more research in software raid. It appears that recently it has gotten a whole lot better. I may or may not go about this route. I would still love your opinions or anyone else's.

In curiosity, in the event a motherboard fails or something gets screwed up in a windows software raid setup, how would that be restored? (Even though we will probably look into using an off site backup of some sort along with the raid, let's pretend we didn't. How would we go about getting it back?)

Thanks for your help!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Software may be of interest if intending to use external hard drive and/or NAS, Bvckup 2

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks like a nice and simple program. I will look into it further.

Thanks!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

If all you are looking for is an easy way to synchronize two folders I have used this in past and it works very well.

SyncToy

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

This seems like an interesting alternative to a raid setup.

Thanks for your suggestion!

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks everyone for the help!

I've decided that it would be best to have some kind of off-site backup, in the event that there is some kind of fire/natural disaster or something. Right now, Crashplan seems to look the most appealing for this, especially since it allows multiple computers.

I will check out the different possibilities you guys suggested for raid, has, and simple external drive backup options. Also, hardware raid no longer seems like a good option for this budget and for reliability. (The goal is to only have to use the off-site backup if there is a fire/natural disaster, not for if a hard drive fails :P)

Once again, thanks to all for your input.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 72 months ago
  • 1 point

I will definitely check this out. The budget would definitely not allow for 6 drives, but for 2 drives in raid 1, I will see the costs involved and how much time and effort it would involve to set up/retrieve data if something went wrong.

Please note I understand like half of what you just said at the time of writing this... I have a lot of research to do ;)

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube