add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
arianq
  • 18 months ago

So for my motherboard it says the memory type is DDR4-2133 / 2400

The cheapest ram i could find was DDR4-3000

First of all, what do the 4 digit numbers next to DDR4 mean after the dash? Second, since the number is higher will it still support my motherboard? thanks

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

Brand/ model of motherboard?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

MSI - B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

• 18 months ago
  • 3 points

This motherboard supports DDR4-2133 or DDR-2400 speed Ram. You would buy either 2x4GB=8GB or 2x8GB=16GB.

It doesn't support speeds higher than 2400. So, 3000 will not work. If you put in 3000 the speed will still be 2400, but you would of paid more the the 3000 speed sticks.

This motherboard supports a maximum of 64GB of Ram, but you'll never need more than 16GB.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B250M-PRO-VDH/Overview

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

So the cheapest i could find was 3000 so was it a good idea that i bought it

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, it would cost money to return it, so just keep it and use it.

If it's already been plugged into the motherboard and used, it my show scuff marks where it plugs into the motherboard, and the supplier may not accept the return.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

the 4 digits is the base MHz frequency aka the speed it is. Your Motherboard can most likely support any DDR4 ram

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

does the mhz frequency matter?

• 18 months ago
  • 2 points

The MHz is basically the speed of the RAM. Higher is usually better.

However, if you put DDR4-3200 RAM into a board that only supports DDR4-2400, the RAM would only run at 2400 instead of the much higher 3200MHz, wasting that 800MHz.

I recommend to get slower RAM to save money, or get a board that supports faster RAM.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Captain Pedantic says that no, the number is in mega-transfers per second (MT/S), not frequency in MHz. DDR stands for Double Data Rate, you get two data transfers per clock cycle. So for example a DDR-3000 stick is rated for 3000 MT/sec but a program like CPU-Z will show the memory frequency as half that or 1500 MHz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube