add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Reinstalling windows

VivaLaPalmer
  • 22 months ago

I had my brother help me when I first installed windows. I have 2 ssd's and a windows 10 USB.

I got a new mobo and cpu. Do I need to just set the boot priority to the USB drive or do I just set the boot drive to my SSD that I'm going to put windows on. Also, when can I remove the windows 10 usb, once I get into the windows screen?

Comments

• 22 months ago
  • 1 point

I generally just only have the one hard drive plugged in when doing a reinstall, that way it only has the one drive to choose from and no mistake formatting the wrong one ever. You won't have to be concerned about where it is installing or what it is booting fro that way, and when done installing just shut down and plug the 2nd drive back in.

You can just go into bios and choose to boot from the usb as a one time option without changing the actual boot priority settings.

You can remove the usb drive after it does the reboot the first time, but if you didn't actually change the boot order it won't matter and it will reboot from the SSD to continue the windows install anyway.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube