• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

SmokeScren 6 months ago

Hi everyone, I am looking to build a PC. I am very new to PC building and I have virtually no experience. My budget is around 1500$ CAD. If you have any builds in mind please list them for me. I usually play games like League of Legends, Guild wars 2, and other games around that frame rate. Thanks so much everyone have a good day :).

Comments Sorted by:

SmokeScren submitter 2 points 6 months ago

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/gxshFt

With the help of all of my friends and my new online friends in this forum, I have created a build that is about 1500$ can someone review this, and possibly let me know if there are any issues like compatibility, making sure everything will fit etc. Thanks again everyone, I truly am thankful for all of you.

Zeromus725 1 point 6 months ago

Well, I guess the 4 things we should look into are (1.) Price (2.) Compatibility (3.) Performance (4.) Aesthetics with importance being in that order.

Price

It fits well within your budget so that’s a-ok.

Compatibility

The compatibility filters on this site are really exceptional and I don’t see any compatibility issues myself so I think you’re good there.

Performance

Well in LoL you will be perfectly fine. UserBenchmark says that on average with the highest detail settings on 1080p, the 1060 6gb/ 7600k gets 226 FPS or somewhere between 190-230. Though that’s not a very difficult game to run and UserBenchmark isn’t considered the best source out there. It estimates a lot of other games will run between 55-100 FPS. So if you want safety in numbers you can play around with the website, just pay attention to what the data tells you. This is the part of your build you probably want to hear the most opinions on because in the end the performance is what matters.

http://www.userbenchmark.com

Also, maybe study up on your case and try to devise a cooling plan. Here’s a little helpful tip. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

Aesthetics

Everyone can respect a nice monochrome build! I could easily imagine this looking quite nice. While a lot of people think making a PC look good is a strange, unimportant thing. It can most definitely be great having people see your PC and being impressed, because bragging rights is half of what DIY PC building is all about. :)

Also, if you ever post pictures of your build: you better have those cables neat and tidy or some elitist snob will try to make fun of you. I’ll give you a few links to cable management guides. But please note that when Linus suggests custom cables: you really don’t need them. That’s just an expensive task that you might not even want. Though if you really want to, you should post an entirely separate topic about it.

Overall, I would say this is a great build. Though maybe somebody will try to revise it in some way to put in a more powerful graphics card. I’ll put a couple little tutorial links below. :)

SmokeScren submitter 2 points 6 months ago

Thanks so much for your help. Ill check these links out :)

Well, I tried. :)

SmokeScren submitter 1 point 6 months ago

Also, what mainly affects the FPS?

Zeromus725 2 points 6 months ago

That can be a difficult question. The simple answer: Your graphics card / CPU combo is most important followed by RAM.

Some games will rely more heavily on your CPU than GPU (and of course the reverse can be true), but really you don’t want to cheap out on either of them.

The way I’ve been taught (which may not be entirely accurate) is that the CPU renders the game and runs it’s calculations for movement/objects/stuff (and along the way the CPU is going to need to pull variables out of the memory so having fast/low-latency RAM is a good thing.), then the data gets pushed to the GPU and it creates the frames and pushes them to your monitor. So when you do something like increase the resolution from 1080p to 1440p, the CPU is still rendering the same world, but the GPU is going to have to put in a lot more work. However, there are also differences between games that affect your FPS. Really, if you don’t look at what other people have gotten for FPS in the past you’re not going to know what FPS you will get. Your in-game settings can also be important. I generally start by turning everything to to High/Max because I really enjoy seeing nice water affects, vegetation, and seeing really far. Then I turn off motion-blur because it makes life worse for your eyes and hurts performance. If you then go into the game and have horrific FPS issues try turning off anti-aliasing (which may also be seen as SSAA, CSAA, AA, FXAA, or MSAA). Anti aliasing just try’s to make an image look better by looking for all the pixelated diagonals and then smoothing them out which is quite the taxing process especially when you’re doing it to 60 images every second. Or if you notice the image gets significantly worse with anti-aliasing or you still have problems, you could try turning off shadows. I personally really like shadows though in well-made games so I try not to turn them off. Really, you should begin to figure out which settings you like best after playing games for awhile.

”Pro”Tip:If you’re playing a competitive shooter or something, turn off grass so that you can see people trying to hide. :)

You should also know what FPS you actually want to get. Obviously, higher is better but there is more to it than that. Your monitor has a maximum amount of frames that it can display in a second. This number is measured in Hertz(Hz), 1Hz = 1 time a second. For, example: if you’re getting 223 FPS, but your monitor is rated for 60Hz, you will only see 60 FPS. So first you should figure out what the refresh rate on your monitor is. Commonly the number will be 30Hz(this is just low-end TV’s), 60Hz, 75Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz, or 240Hz. So there isn’t much point going very far over the limits of your monitor. Though you also want a minimum FPS of 60 or if you’re playing a shooter it can be useful to have at least 100 FPS.

I hope I helped! :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention, if you want to see your FPS in-game there are several tutorials online for how to operate MSI Afterburner/RivaTuner Statistics.

DarTroX 9 Builds 1 point 6 months ago

Why'd you go with the 7600K over a newer coffee lake CPU, or even Ryzen for that matter?

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 6 months ago

I would upgrade to a z370 and 8350k for the same price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PXcfnH

I hope the link works; I don’t really build a lot of lists for people.

This would probably do fine. Though I’m uncertain what it is your financial stuff entails and I’m sure someone will come along and tell me how wrong I am anyway. :)

EDIT: Dang, I did this all in USD. I’ll have to fix it.

EDIT2: Alright so currently $1500 CAD is about $1150 USD so hopefully the new link will be better for your actual budget.

pegotico 2 Builds 3 points 6 months ago

Dang, I did this all in USD. I’ll have to fix it.

You need to use canadian PCPP site as prices in Canada are usually more expensive. Also the part might not be available in Canada.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/

For the part's list you created it didn't turn out bad though i didnt check if there are better/cheaper options.. :)

Many thanks, Pegotico! I tried again, but with the Canadian site this time. :)

Alright, so I think I did good for the price range. 16GB of DDR4, reliable 6-core processor, and a GTX 1070. There’s $110 left so that an aesthetically pleasing case may be chosen.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor $211.22 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard $110.05 @ Vuugo
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $191.99 @ Amazon Canada
Storage Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $34.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Storage Kingston - A400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $101.95 @ shopRBC
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.95 @ Vuugo
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $499.99 @ Memory Express
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.50 @ Vuugo
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $120.95 @ Vuugo
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1405.59
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $1390.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 11:10 EDT-0400
pegotico 2 Builds 2 points 6 months ago

You're welcome! :)

Do you approve of my list? It took me awhile to try and get the most power within the budget. I’ve seen you provide good advice on these forums multiple times and want to know if there is anything you would do differently.

The CXM450 is a great budget PSU, but for a little more you can get the seasonic focus gold which is light years better and has a 10 year warranty. The PSU is the most important component in your build and i think for the price difference the seasonic is definitely worth it

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/KmgzK8/seasonic-focus-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-550fm

I would just get a 240gb ssd and either a 1tb or 2tb HD for data.

I dont like blower style GPU unless its absolutely necessary because of the case.

Also go with faster ram.. Its around the same price. :)

tragiktimes101 1 Build 1 point 6 months ago

Incomplete list link.

Incomplete list link.

Im not posting any links to a build. I just posted the link to the canadian site. :)

tragiktimes101 1 Build 2 points 6 months ago

Oh, shoot my bad.

No worries.. :)

It's a hair over your budget, but the price could be mitigated if you need it to be:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $229.99 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $164.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Memory Team - T-Force Delta RGB 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $118.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $34.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.95 @ Vuugo
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card $549.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Case Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $129.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $76.99 @ PC-Canada
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit $191.94 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1547.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-10 08:42 EDT-0400
NerdyTurd 2 points 6 months ago

It's really annoying that the Windows 10 Home key is nearly $200 CAD. :/ I'm definitely not the only one who thinks that they are seriously overpriced.

It's a full licensed version, meaning it can be indefinitely transferred. The OEM single use variant isn't nearly as expensive.

Lol, you’re not the only one.

Thanks everyone for all your help, can someone tell me of this build is good https://pcpartpicker.com/user/arcenlaze/saved/WMjpGX

Looks fairly good to me. Though, that isn’t in Canadian currency. Here’s the same thing in CAD.

Though I do notice some things that could be improved. You could get a cheaper SSD with the same size from Kingston, the PSU has no price data in Canada, and that CPU cooler can be traded in for a nice liquid cooler at a $1 difference.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/cfx6pG

I want to thank everyone for all your help. Just one last question, I am still debating whether to have a fan or water cooling the difference in price is one dollar. I would like your opinions, thanks so much everyone.

this is the link for the water cooler that i would be using https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/RcdFf7/cooler-master-masterliquid-ml240l-rgb-667-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-mlw-d24m-a20pc-r1

this is the link for the fan I would be using https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/FRYLrH/be-quiet-dark-rock-4-cpu-cooler-bk021

Thanks again everyone

Well, there is a slight risk in a water cooled system. It might leak, though it’s extremely rare in the AIOs. Air-cooling has almost nothing that can actually break; it’s just a bunch of metal fins and a fan.

So if unnecessary paranoia is something you would rather avoid, an air cooler could be the better option.

Is the fan I listed a rather expensive one?

The air cooler is from “be quiet!” I know that they’re a bit overpriced in the US. You could most likely get a much cheaper air cooler if that is your primary concern.

yeah, would it be fine if you listed a cheaper one? Thanks so much

Well, one of the most popular coolers ever is the Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO and I’ve had good experience with the company Cooler Master. Though it might be a little outdated.

Or if you would want to stick with your black/white color theme, there is the CRYORIG - H7

Both of those have been proven with time and are much cheaper than the be quiet! offerings.

Pcnoob00 1 point 6 months ago

Make sure the parts are compatible.

They both are

Adrew24 1 Build 1 point 6 months ago

THREADRIPPERS ARE 300 ON AMAZON. GET ONE OF THOSE. Otherwise, the other advice from people on this forum is pretty good.

[comment deleted by staff]
NerdyTurd 5 points 6 months ago

He asked for a PC Build. And Mac's and iPhone's are way overpriced.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 3 points 6 months ago

So...I take it they no longer are?

Also, mac and iphone. lel. What's better than antiquated tech at non-competitive price points?

Every once in awhile this kind of comment appears.... I still can’t figure out why; it’s a PC website.

But really, he asked for some ideas for a desktop build. What you’re doing is considered trolling.

I tried to, though I found it difficult to understand.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 5 points 6 months ago

Gross.

Nullarc77 3 Builds 5 points 6 months ago

Excuse me while I regurgitate my lunch.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 5 points 6 months ago

Your post should be removed for NSFW content.

[comment deleted]