add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
stellarfalls
  • 73 months ago

so i just got all the parts to build my computer i tried to do a test run before installing everything and nothing happened so i tried the paperclip test and the psu fan turns on for a second then right back off its a XFX proseries 750watt gold PSU

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure this isn't an issue with the standoffs in the case or something? That's one of the best PSU's out there, and unless you tried it out of the case with just essential parts to get to POST and know it's not the motherboard, I doubt it's the PSU unless you have horrible luck.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

i did the out of the case first it would not post i did the paperclip test nothing then hooked fans up still nothing told a meter to it and it has no power coming out of it its the PSU

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

what is the "paperclip" test? what did you have installed and connected out of the case when you didn't get POST?

if you bought at NewEgg... neweggsupport@xfxforce.com

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

i got from ncix and got a rma approved i just did the MOBO psu moniter ect test bench stuff and the paper clip test is when you put a paper clip into your 24 pin and short it out to trick it that its on and it failed that fan didnt start up spun for a split second so then i took a meter to it and it wasnt getting anything from that either

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Hope the RMA process goes smoothly and quickly and you have better luck with the replacement. That's a very good PSU, wouldn't expect that.

Never heard of the paperclip test but looks to me like an easy way to ruin components if not done properly.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

it wont ruin components most OEM's of PSU have that on troubleshooting psu issues section of their website you would have a higher chance of ruining your components using a multi meter

[comment deleted]
  • 73 months ago
  • 1 point

yea im just going to go ahead with the full build and see what happens if it still dosnt work then im going to contact xfx sucks ive had all the parts for while took 3 weeks for the ram to show up though bcuz dhl shipping sucks XD and now i might have to RMA something ughhhhhh first world issues

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube