add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Tragik Times is Hungry #11 - Sweets / Candy

tragiktimes101

15 months ago

This isn't going to be entirely like the other posts, simply because I really don't have any good recipes for this (but I'm hoping you may). What are your favorite kinds of candy? How about the strangest candy you've ever had? I know there are a lot of people here from around the world so I'm interested in the customary sweets from your respective areas!

I'd have to say my favorite candy, if limiting it to pre-made candy (you don't have to, though) would be Twix peanut butter. I know, simple and lame. But, so damn good. Perhaps gummy bears would be my second choice, because who doesn't like gummy bears? Ohhh, and if it comes down to homemade sweets, I just can't pass up a good lemon bar.

As for the strangest candy I've had, I once had several pieces of Japanese candy from my old school's "around the world" day. Some of the candy was kind of gross. One tasted like bread (kind of weird). The best one by far, though, was this pear candy that tasted just like I was eating a pear. I just wish I could read Japanese so I could have figured out what it was.

Well, I think this sets the stage. Discuss.

Edit: Oh, I can't believe I forgot this. It's been a while since I've had any, but I freaking LOVE Toffifay's. If any of you feel adventurous and super hoity-toity (yeah, they feel fancy) try a box of them. They are freaking delicious.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

I like chocolate. Dark chocolate is best. My go-to is a Montezuma's 100% dark chocolate bar which I get at Trader Joe's. It's pretty guilt free.

Also gotta shout out Smart Sweets which taste excellent but have very little sugar, and are high in Fiber.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Gotta say, not a fan of the dark chocolate, lol. Just too bitter for me. But, those smart sweets are pretty cool. I might have to pick up a couple of packs. Do they make gummy bears, by chance? Went to go and exit the tab and the "before ya go" pop up for their page was a gummy bear pic, so I suppose that answers my question. lol

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

My dark chocolate appreciation matured much like my coffee appreciation did. At first it was all sugar and milk, but gradually over time I came to appreciate the darker more bitter stuff. I still love M&Ms, and can enjoy milk chocolate. Still can enjoy a Dunkin iced coffee that they load up with sugar and milk lol. But when I'm choosing for myself I'll take the darker stuff.

Yeah Smart Sweets just today announced Swedish Fish too haha. They also make sour gummy bears, and just announced a sour patch kid knockoff... which seems redundant, but maybe they'll be extra sour?

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

Same! I'm working my way up on my coffee-bitterness meter, and dark chocolate is quite the same.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I went ahead and put in a small order. Hope it's worth it, as the gummy bears are 50g/~$3.29 compared to Haibo 142g/$1.39. That's a pretty significant price difference. But, I suppose if they are that good and good for you I can justify that.

I have to take another try at dark chocolate. It's been a while since I have and I have grown to like more bitter coffee. So, perhaps that preference will transfer over.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah I mean, price wise it's not gonna compete at all lol. Nobody is gonna compete with corn syrup for sweetening. But they taste good and are guilt free if you're trying to mind sugar intake. Hope you like them!

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Quality does come with a premium. I'm willing to pay more for something much better / better for me.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh, gosh, I hate those "before you go" pop-ups. They're just so annoying!!

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

But, I found out about their gummy bears. So....I count this one as a win, lol.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd count that as a win as well

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

For one, I think the US has way more sweets than other countries. To be more specific, the candy/cookies/desserts have way more sugar than other places.

Twix peanut butter !!! YES! But I can't find those. I only see the caramel ones. PBMax was another one, but no longer found.

Can't recall any strange candy I've had.

I prefer sweets from other countries because they are not so sweet. Some of the candy here seems to be eating solid sugar with flavoring and coloring. I know, sounds appetizing.

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

Some of the candy here seems to be eating solid sugar with flavoring and coloring.

No....we'd never do that.

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

That stuff is quite fun to make! Kids get a huge kick out of it. We don't eat it, but it breaks down quick enough for reuse (makes colorful pancakes and waffles!!!). During one "grow" I set up a phopro. Once done, I timelapsed it and showed the boys. They must have watched that silly video 100 times.

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

I like dark chocolate! I'm also a fan of watermelon Jolly Ranchers and Werthers butterscotch. I have full plates top and bottom, so chewing gum and Gummi Bears are too problematical, (they stick).

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, buddy, I didn't even think about butterscotch.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Uhhhhh... I sure am!

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

I love hard candies. I've found very few I don't like. I don't have a favorite flavor, or a least favorite flavor. I've had a few incredibly STRANGE flavors though. But non I've flat out said no to.

I have a soft spot for hard candies. A few years ago I discovered a little candy shop in Florida that does hand made hard candies. The place is called Lofty Pursuits and their online store is called Public Displays of Confection. Wife and I order a variety of batches through out the year and has become our norm for Easter Candy. We are even contemplating ordering a large batch (as each candy comes in a little presealed pouch) for Halloween.

The strangeness in this one is I originally discovered this place in my home clear across the other side of the states while mindlessly cruising on you tube. The owner has a youtube channel where he makes a variety of image and drop candies. Along with other items. His narrative is wonderful, and his little stories are fantastic. Anyone interested can check out the channel at Lofty Pursuits.

We are such big fans that we are actually planning a vacation that revolves around visiting this shop. Can. Not. Wait.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

We are such big fans that we are actually planning a vacation that revolves around visiting this shop.

My GF and I are obsessed with a waffle shop we've never been to, and we almost made the trip happen last time we were in FL. It's called Cousteau's and is in Saint Augustine. I forget how I found it, but all their waffles and milkshakes derived their names from characters or phrases out of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I may have gotten the beetus just by looking at that site.

10/10 would still eat there though...

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds pretty awesome. I like me some hard candies as well. A few flavors I do say "no" to, but not many. The Japanese candy that tasted like bread might be one I'd have to pass on, lol. It was weird.

When I visited Tennessee we stopped by an old-school candy store. Oh. My. God. it was so awesome. Candy as far as the eye could see and it was in that early 1900's fashion. Glass jars galore. Very, very good candy. I'm just sad I can't remember the name.

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

I don't know why, but I haven't seen myself craving as much candy as I used to. However I do love those peanut m&ms, and general chocolate candies with peanuts of the sort.

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

I am a huge fan (and it may be my downfall) of chocolate. My favorite thing is Reeses peanut butter cups. I can't think of any strange candies i have had to be honest.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I don’t really eat straight candy. Unless you count my usual diet as candy.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Not sure why but I like any sour candy, with a side of sweetness of coarse.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

What are your favourite types of candy?

I can't decide between milk chocolate and gummy worms. They are both sooo good.

How about the strangest candy you've ever had?

My friend once gave me a Japanese ball of sugar coated in chocolate, but the chocolate tasted weird. :/

And homemade sweets? My mother makes an awesome chocolate bread pudding.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Butter. Finger.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I hoard little Debbie's cakes of sugary preservative goodness.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I like Snickers.

I work at a golf course that has a shop containing snacks. I discovered early on that their Snickers tasted completely different from the ones at the grocery store. Did some investigation, and it turns out that they refrigerate their snickers. Once I discovered this I started buying snickers 6-packs and refrigerating them.

Buy two snickers bars, refrigerate one for a few hours and leave the other at room temperature. Eat the non-refrigerated one first and then try the refrigerated one. You will find that the refrigerated Snickers has a completely different texture. It is tougher, takes longer to eat, and , of course , it is also nice and cool.

TLDR: refrigerate Snickers or Milky Way bars for a different type of candy bar.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Kinder Bueno chocolate, all time absolute favourite sweet treat

• 15 months ago
  • 3 points

It's amazing, isn't it? The Germans really know how to make chocolate.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh, gosh, where do I begin? I've traveled quite a bit across Europe within the last year, which makes this an extremely hard choice.

To begin, I guess I'll go with my favorite candy-type sweet, which would have to be German chocolate, specifically the Kinder Surprise Egg. They're sweet and melt exceptionally well in your mouth. Great, now I want to go to Carrefour and buy up their entire stock.

The next choice I'd have to go with would be baked sweets. The top choice here would have to be macaroons, specifically from France. I really can't describe them, except for saying that they're just... perfect.

My favorite frozen treat would be gelato, which is really just a fancy way of saying "Italian, homemade, heathlier-than-store-bought ice cream." It's always nice to be walking through a small European town, mostly in Italy, and be able to stop pretty much any time, anywhere and get some gelato. I've seen and tasted many different flavors, including mango, rum (my dad told me that's not really what rum tastes like), cheesecake, Oreo (cookies and cream), and pineapple.

Now, the weirdest sweet I've ever tasted goes back to the gelato. I tasted some "habanero and chocolate" gelato, which didn't taste bad, but was just... weird.

That's all I've got, but believe me, it was hard to pick favorites out of all that I've eaten over here in Europe. Can't wait to move back to the States, tho.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

And...now I want some gelato....sorry, some healthier-than-store-bought ice cream.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I do too. Kinda wish I hadn't thought as hard as I did on this....

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Twix, Snickers, Crunch, Kit Kat, Reese’s pieces and peanut butter cups, my list of favorites is quite long. I don’t care so much for butterfinger

The weirdest candy I have ever tried is Turkish delight, and I loved it

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Edit in body

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I ate some Japanese chocolate once that was way softer than traditional chocolate. Don't know what it was called, but it was amazing.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Silk chocolate is really soft. If you've never had it, you should try it.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I love Sugar Daddies.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Though some people like crickets coated with different things such as caramel or lemon. Tis a strange place.

It takes all kinds, I suppose.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube