• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

drferrell 7 months ago

Was originally wanting to get the 2080 ti, but for pricing reasons that is not going to happen. Been looking at gtx 1080 ti lately and noticed that they are quite cheap now (most particularly the EVGA gtx 1080 ti SC2) for just $650). the RTX 2080 is said to be $700 for founders addition so getting an after market version of that would maybe an addtional $50 to $100. 1080 ti has 11gb of GDDR5X while the 2080 has the faster GDDR6 VRAM, but only 8 GB of it.

So what I'm asking is would the difference between the two cards be great enough to spend less for a GTX 1080 ti now or would it be better to wait for the RTX 2080 to come out and spend more? (From a gaming perspective, which would be better for 2560 x 1440 gaming)

Comments Sorted by:

Buildtimeboys 1 Build 8 points 7 months ago

Wait for benchmarks.
Nobody actually knows how they will perform yet.

Nullarc77 3 Builds 3 points 7 months ago

Exactly.

Mason54 25 Builds 1 point 7 months ago

THANK YOU!!! Someone gets it.

(Back story) At work today(Microcenter) and we had the nvidia keynote on. During the whole thing we were asked "What do you think of the cards" or "Should I wait?" We have no idea about anything, we're just as clueless as you.

drferrell submitter 2 Builds 1 point 7 months ago

Thanks for the advice. A lot of stuff is just racing through my mind and I'm not really thinking straight. I was looking to having a xx80 ti (or similar) and didn't know if a gtx 1080 ti at roughly half the price of a 2080 ti would be a better value. I've since calmed down and decided to wait to see what happens.