add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Adding 2 different specs of rams together

fayerokko
  • 18 months ago

I'm planning tot upgrade and mix my current (2x4gb Avexir Blitz) ram together with another 2x4gb ram (other brand) together to 16gb because the ram I'm using currently no longer available for sale here. Is there any problem with that?

People say its best to buy the same exact type of ram if you wanna add more. But what would happen if I mixed those 2 types of different ram with different speeds? For example my current ram is avexir bltiz 2x4gb 3000mhz, and what would happen if I mix them with ex: corsair vengeance 2x4gb 2400mhz?

thanks <3

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

They will run at the speed/timings of the slowest RAM in the system.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks for reply!

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

best case is they all run at the 2400Mhz timings.

Worst case it doesn't POST. (my understanding is that this outcome is mostly unlikely)

Middle case they all run at the default timings at 2133Mhz.

alternative middle case is you have to manually set the timings to get to the 2400Mhz.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

So if I run them with 3000mhz just with different brand that will be fine?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

the important part is the timings of the RAM along with the frequency. There are a ton of different timing options besides just the main 4 you see commonly listed. (i.e. 15-17-17-30 3000Mhz)

Thats why its HIGHLY recommended to get the exact same model of ram when adding additional ram. As that'll give you the best chance of all 4 sticks working together. (*best chance short of getting all 4 sticks together in the same package... but if you did that we wouldn't be having this conversation. lol)

If you ordered from newegg or some place like that your best bet is to look through your order history and go to the exact page and buy another pair. (if you want them to run at a higher speed just using XMP. if you're ok manually doing it then you can probably manually set all 4 sticks to the timings of the slower sticks and I would think you'd have a good shot at that working)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube