add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC frozen after FreeNAS installation, no response

cramstr

18 months ago

I'm trying to re purpose an old PC by turning it into a simple DIY NAS build to store some movies and pictures. It is an old Dell Inspiron desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 x2, 4GB memory, and a 500GB 7200RPM HDD.

I used DBAN to wipe the hard drive, and installed the FreeNAS ISO onto a USB flash drive using Rufus. I put another Kingston 16GB USB in the back for the FreeNAS to be installed on that.

The installation went pretty smoothly. I installed FreeNAS onto the larger flash drive, chose to boot off BIOS, and took out the smaller drive and restarted the PC. I also made sure in the BIOS that it would boot from the larger drive. on. However, when the PC restarts, it would stay frozen on the Dell splash screen with the BIOS information.I connected some peripherals, and they received no power and wouldn't work. I kept restarting and re trying it, but it would stay frozen. I removed it the drive with FreeNAS installed, and everything went back to normal.

I removed it, and successfully went into the BIOS. While in the BIOS, I plugged the FreeNAS drive back in, and suddenly everything froze again.

I also tried downloading FreeNAS onto a different drive, and got the same results. What is causing this? Is it a drive problem, or a PC problem?

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

At a guess, I would think that the problem is not with the ISO but with the installation process. Have you tried just leaving the stick in after the installation and just not selecting it from the boot menu?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if I did, wouldn't the PC still freeze because the drive(with FreeNAS installed inside) is connected?

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll try it out.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m not too sure. Give it a crack and keep me updated

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

So I turns out that it's the computer's problem.

I tried installing it on a different computer, and everthing worked. So now it's a hardware issue, but the computer is ancient and I it could be everything.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats good, better then it being anything else

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube