add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

FreeNAS SMB share not showing up in Windows

cramstr

18 months ago

So I'm in the midst of attempting to make a FreeNAS server for home use to store photos and movies. I'm completely new to FreeNAS and any server software, and I literally have no clue what I'm doing.

I successfully installed it onto an old computer, and I'm in the process of setting everything up.

I'm looking for a basic server that anyone in the local network can access and put in files. What are the basic things that I need to set up? I already made a volume for my hard drive.

I did some research, and apparently I need to create shares so that they are accessible by other computers. I created one with SMB(all of my computers are running Windows), and turned it on. However, it does not show up in the "Network" section of Windows Explorer.

What am I missing?

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube