add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Possible GPU/CPU Overheating **NEED HELP**

Turf357

17 months ago

Fairly recently, my home-built desktop computer shut down randomly without much warning. A strange flicker or glitch of the screen happened before everything went completely black. My desktop was still powered, but nothing was being displayed to the screens. This has happened once previously, and I didn't think much of it the first time. The same flicker occured, but I was able to shut down the computer and power it back on after a short while. I've noticed that when my PC is running for a considerable amount of time, the room that it is house in gets extremely hot. Other people have said it's hot in this room, but I couldn't feel the heat all that much. When I put my hand near the fans, it did not feel like the air was very hot, but I could've been mistaken. I wouldn't say I had the best airflow with only 2 fans + gpu fan + cpu cooler fan and an semi-enclosed area underneath my loft bed. The door to this room is usually closed while using the PC. I have not been able to fully boot my computer up all day. When I do, my computer powers on and everything seems fine. Sometimes the bios screen appears, but the monitors appear to have many vertical lines on them. These lines take up a wide space, but are transparent with a reddish hue. Then, the windows start up screen appears and loads for a short while. At about the time when I'd expect it to finish booting, the screens turn black again, but without a glitch/flicker. The monitors say there is no input source and then I turn off the PC. My best guess is this is a result in CPU or GPU overheating, but I don't know how to confirm or approach this problem. I was hoping someone on here could tell me more about what is happening. Thank you!

EDIT: I have tried just using my motherboard plugs instead of the ones from the GPU, and absolutely nothing happens. Before I switched them, I tried to turn it on a couple times. It shows the bios and windows setup screen just as shown above. One of the times, it showed the blue screen and said "windows could not load correctly". The screen was still being strange at this point, but I troubleshoot the error. It said that windows troubleshooter could not fix this error. Another time it got past the windows set up screen, but, instead of showing the sign in screen, it showed a glitched screen with many red vertical/horizontal lines.

pcpartpicker

(Sorry for repost on here. Was originally on other hardware topic. Then I saw troubleshooting)

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Go into your BIOS, and check your CPU and GPU temps. if your temps are 80*C or higher, than your CPU is overheating. If it is below that ceiling then it might be a glitch in your BIOS or Windows. Clear all bios settings and clean install Windows.

Note: Seeing your part list, the EVGA 600B is a cheap and unreliable Power supply. It could have failed your system, causing those unexpected shut-downs. Stop using your PC immediatly and switch out to a better supply ($80 or above for 600 watts). The EVGA 650 G3 or Corsair RM650 are safe bets.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont believe it to be a problem with the power supply. I will definitely check the bios.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube