add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Boot error message appears every time I turn on computer

maxkyle
  • 18 months ago

I just finished building my pc, but when I turn on the computer and monitor, before it loads BIOS, I get a black screen with text saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media on selected Boot device and press a key". I did some researching and saw it may be a problem with my SSD, but I really don't know. I don't even have windows installed yet. How do I fix? Thanks.

Comments

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Unplug your ssd, and plug it back in after waiting a minute or two. If it recurs, then try plugging an old hdd in to test if the ssd is problematic.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Tried unplugging and replugging, didn't work. Unfortunately, I do not have an old hdd I can use, so I guess I'll have to buy one unless there is another way. :(

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure it's not trying to boot the OS? sounds to me like it went through POST and is trying to boot up, which it can't because there's no bootable device available. (Is there?) Generally there's a screen telling you to press some function key to enter the BIOS that lasts for a couple seconds. I'd try resetting the CMOS on the motherboard and see if that helps.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

It can't be booting the OS, I don't have one yet. I have the MSI B450I Mini ITX AM4 mobo but it doesn't appear that it came with a jumper. Is there one that I'm just not seeing? Also, I am able to enter bios, so if you are asking me to reset CMOS in order to reset bios I can do that through BIOS. I found a way by pressing cmd + alt and spamming the delete key, strangely enough. But of course when I try to save my changes it just reverts back to that error screen (sometimes it even freezes, and I have to restart computer).

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

If BIOS recognises your SSD you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure your SATA mode is set to AHCI (although newer motherboards should have this enabled by default)

Just get your Windows Media and get installing.

Is this your first time installing windows?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

It is my first time. Thing is, I thought I couldn't install it because of this problem. Also, when I go into memory tab on BIOS, my SSD does in fact show up.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be fine!

You can test the installation without purchasing Windows license. If you have a spare machine at home (PC/laptop) all you need is a 4GB/8GB USB stick and then download Windows 10 creation tool. Full instructions here: (although it looks like a lot of work - its very simple and easy) https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-download-windows-10-and-create-your-own-installation-media

Once you've got the Installation Media sorted. Simply connect the USB stick to your new build (preferably a USB 2.0 port). Pop into BIOS and set the BOOT priority for the USB as primary and reboot! (also double check your SATA Mode for the SSD it should be set to AHCI by default). Save and reboot.

Windows Installation should commence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbR6XT7fcA (skip to 2.32).

EDIT: During the installation process, skip the product key request. Once installed you will need to purchase a license to activate Windows although it will work for the time being.

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much! Hopefully this fixes the problem... I only have mac desktops/laptops at home, I can still download/transfer the creation tool on a mac?

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes you can but I admit I have never done it before and to be honest I've never used MAC or iphones. Thats right a HARDCORE WINDOWS AND LINUX FAN BOY! hehe

Heres how: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-installer-usb-drive-mac

• 18 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I've been using mac my whole life. I like the look of it but I do think windows + linux have a lot of good things going for it too

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube