add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best CPU x GPU combo for gaming?

AdmiralSoup

13 months ago

Totally omitting overclocking and amount of RAM, what's the best CPU x GPU combo for gaming in 1080p resolution at 60fps minimum on max settings at the lowest cost possible?

Is it:

• i7 8086K and GTX 1080ti;

• Ryzen 7 2700X and GTX 1080;

• or maybe i5 8600K and GTX 1070ti is enough?

Or maybe there is another good combo worth mentioning?

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 6 points

(you didn’t specify the currency so I just used USD)

I can hit 1080p/60fps with a Ryzen 1600 and a RX580 4GB which is a much cheaper combo than all of the ones you proposed. It should be noted: if you don’t really like AMD, the Nvidia 1060 6GB is about the same as the RX580. Also, the AMD 1600/2600 have similar performance to Intel’s 8400 with the 8400 being slightly better at single-threaded performance (most games fall into this category) and the 1600 being slightly better at multithreaded tasks.

My Solution

Ryzen 1600- $150

Ryzen 2600- $165

Intel’s 8400- $180

580 4GB- $250 (or less)

1060 6GB- $270

~$400-$450

Your Ideas

8600K- $250

2700X- $320

8700K- $350

8086K- $400

1070ti- $410

1080- $450

1080ti- $650

*~$660-$1050

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the response. I am fairly new to PC building and I still need some guidance. So you are saying that in order to achieve the <60 fps at 1080p resolution on max settings for most games GTX 1060 6GB and Ryzen 2600 should be enough?

P.S. It's not that I don't like AMD, I'm simply much less familiar with their products. Again, I'm new to this.

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

Ah, no worries. Most people who are new to PC building have only ever heard of Intel. They controlled a vast percentage of the market before AMD came out with their Ryzen series and I don’t even know of a time when AMD had superior GPUs all-around. It also probably has something to do with the “Intel Inside” stickers that I’m sure you’ve seen multiple times before.

“<60 fps” would mean less than 60 FPS. I know that you mean at least 60 FPS though so I’ll specify on what I have. My system is a completely non-overclocked Ryzen 1600/ RX580. (The 2600 is a straight-upgrade to the 1600 if you have a mobo with the B450 or X470 chipset.) I can run at 1080p 60 FPS on modern games with a mix of high and very high settings. I never really do exactly maximum because I can barely notice some of the differences in settings. For example, anti-aliasing is sort of hard for me to really notice and it will absolutely wreck even high-end systems so I never crank it up too far. I also turn motion-blur off because it looks like garbage. However, most other things like water, vegetation, and shadows I do put on the highest possible settings because I can and it looks awesome.

PRO TIP: If you’re playing a shooter, turn off grass/bushes so you can see other players trying to hide. :D

If you need more info on terms like Hertz(Hz), anti-aliasing, mobo, or anything just ask. I would be glad to answer your questions the best I can.

I’ll build a sort of proto-type list for you. Just post this build in the “Part List Opinions Wanted” section of the forums and hopefully someone will be able to refine it so you can get a more “perfect” system and price. I did put a bit of emphasis on the aesthetics; if you look at the parts they are quite aesthetically pleasing. I also went ahead and put in a 1060 6GB card instead of 580 because Nvidia is sort of like name-brand and telling someone you have a 580 could start a weird conversation where you have to explain that this isn’t the GTX 580 from several years ago, it’s the RX 580 from like one year ago. And then they’ll ask why you left the T out of RTX and you’ll just wish you never entered the conversation.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor $165.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $124.01 @ B&H
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $177.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GT OCV1 Video Card $269.99 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.93 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $94.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1041.79
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $991.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-03 19:30 EDT-0400

Sorry if that’s a lot to read. I just have long explanations sometimes. Also, I could make a list that is quite a bit cheaper, but sacrifices aesthetics if that is what you want. :)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, scratch out that previous build idea. I have one that’s $100 cheaper if you like black/red.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/K6mPvn

I also left room for you to add whatever storage forms you would like.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

No problem. Honestly, I prefer to get an extensive answer in a longer form than getting information in tiny bits ever so often. Thanks for the explanation and build recommendation. It really opened my eyes on some things. However, you see, I'm about get my first real job soon and the first thing that I want to buy for my own earned money is the great PC rig. As you know I am quite new to this so there are still some things that I need to learn and understand. For example money-to-performance value. I want to avoid spending, let's say for example, $2,000 for a rig that will be only about 12% better than the one for $1,100 or something, you know? Thus, I am acquiring the info like in the OP on what is the best PC build that will meet my requirements (that is at least 60fps, 1080p, max settings). Honestly, I would be ready to spend even $3,000 for PC that will meet my goals but I don't want to if I don't have to. One last thing is that because I'm ready to spend some real money on the PC, I really want it to last. I want o build a rig that will meet my requirements for the future games also, for about 2 years. Do you think that the rig you posted (or similar to it) would be good enough for that?

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

“money-to-performance value. I want to avoid spending, let's say for example, $2,000 for a rig that will be only about 12% better than the one for $1,100”

Yes, the goal of getting the most bang-for-your-buck. Quite a fun task, but I’m not exactly the best at making lists by any means.

If you just want to play random games from years past and future I think the basis of what I provided should be fine. However, if you really want to be playing the latest and greatest full-on AAA games for the next few years... you might want to bump up the GPU/CPU scale one notch. Maybe something like the 2600x with a 1070 could probably last you the next 2-3 years. Also, it’s common to switch out the GPU of a rig after two full cycles of graphics cards, which also happens to be a 2-3 year time period. For example, someone who built their system around 5 years ago with a 770 would probably have waited through the 900 series (Nvidia skipped 8 for some reason) and then get the 1070. This is done to increase the life-span of a system without having it completely replaced. So with some extremely basic math we can guess that a 2600X/1070 would last 2 or 3 years and then have the 1070 swapped for some future, currently-unnamed card and have it last 1 to 2 more years. This would put the projected life-span of your system at 3-5 years.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

GPU Prices are inflated, you can snag a 1070 off eBay for $250

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Not everybody really likes buying off eBay, but that is pretty nice. How about 1080s? Are they sub 300?

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

How about 1080s? Are they sub 300?

More like between $300-350 from what I've seen.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Dang, I’ll have to skip on them for now.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

$350ish. If you can win out a bid then maybe. 1080 Tis still at $500

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I suppose $500 is better than the >$1k that I would need for a 2080ti. :)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Nvidia is of their mind at $1200 so I can get 30 FPS at 1080p as an added bonus to raytracing. If they keep doing this they’re going to end up like intel, to be thrown out only a little bit later in favor of a more consumer friendly company. (Hype for Navi 2019)

• 13 months ago
  • 5 points

60FPS @ 1080p?

i3 8100/RX 570.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

IDK, I agree with everyone on the 1060 being good enough but a year and a half ago I built my first rig and I too wanted 1080p/60fps @ very high settings and was told to go with a 1060 and ya its was great, but as time went on I realized if I were ever to do it again that from now on if someone says "that card is perfect for it" I now go one tier higher.

I wish I just went with the 1070. The 1060 is good enough but since I was putting all this money into it anyways just go one card higher. I would get the 1070 if I were you, especially going "forward" for all "gaming" and not just moba's or Fortnite but all "gaming" and this late, get the 1070 instead or at least I would, good luck man :)

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Yea, thanks. After some reading and the recommendations that I got, I think I would go these days with 1070ti. But to be honest, I might to wait for the RTX 2070 to launch, see the reviews and its performance and if it is in similar price range to the current 1080ti, I might save up some bucks and go with that. I'm not in a rush and I want to have my rig for at least couple years.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I arrived at a similar answer; good, sound logic. :)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

My opinion i5 8600 and thx 1060 6 gb

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I happened upon a similar answer.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube