add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Swapped CPU and Mobo and PC booted up with No issues....is this normal?

slapstick22
  • 21 months ago

I went from a AsRock to MSI board and changed from a 2700X to a 2600X. Booted up PC and OS is humming along with no issues after driver installs. I fully expected to have to rebuild but that is not the case. Should I rebuild anyway?

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Is your Windows showing as Activated?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 is not hard tied to the motherboard the way past versions of Windows was. Linus, from Linus Tech Tips, just did a video on this and Windows Activation is controlled by a Microsoft server that looks for significance changes to hardware, so replacing one or two components is not likely to inactivate Windows.

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

You're going to sit there and act like a Motherboard and CPU aren't significant changes?

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

You're going to sit there and act like a Motherboard and CPU aren't significant changes?

Perhaps I should have said "massive" changes or something else.

I will post the video when I get home, can't do it right now. Linus was able to change the CPU, motherboard and the video card a couple time and Windows 10 did not inactivate. It seems as if Microsoft is being a lot smarter about when people will upgrade in systems.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Yay Microsoft did something right for once.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I will post the video when I get home, can't do it right now. Linus was able to change the CPU, motherboard and the video card a couple time and Windows 10 did not inactivate.

But he wasn't using an OEM license AFAIK.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm pretty sure he was. He stated that he did not like burning that license just for the video. If it was a full version he would not have been worried about that. Since he was expecting the license to get inactivated.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Then it's fine.. I wouldn't do anything.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes it is normal. Windows will find any driver updated needed. You should not have to do anything unless you run into problems.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10 activation is tied to your Microsoft account also. Maybe 1 or 2 major changes don't trigger the man?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube