add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do you think the Jedi are "good" and the Sith are "bad"?

nostalgia2302

15 months ago

Do you people think the Jedi are inherently the good guys and the Sith are inherently the bad guys?

Honestly, I find it very difficult to think the Sith should be considered the "bad" guys. It's not like comparing the Mafia vs the Cops, or Zod to Superman, where you do know who are the good and the bad guys because of their intentions. Palpatine is a bad guy, but so are the Jedi. After all, they almost anihilated the Sith order and forced them into hidding.

The Sith and Jedi are at the core, monastic religious orders.

It's easier to compare them to Buddishm and Islam (Buddishm is all about peace, Muhammad spread Islam by the sword), Democrats and Republicans (two parties with different ideologies), Anglicanism (UK) vs Catholicism (Rome). even Apples and Pears. Each side has its own flavor, but neither is good nor bad.

That's why wanting to be the Emperor of the whole galaxy makes Palpatine a "Bad" guy, but this doesn't mean the Sith order as a whole is bad.

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

To discuss this you have to set a scope, or canon, to talk through. If you are incorporating Legends(EU) content, things go all over the place. If you are sticking to the films, it is pretty cut and dry (even though the Jedi are clearly flawed).

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

As long as you don’t kill younglings, you should be fine.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Well in either legends or canon both suck. The Jedi is a horrible religion that abducts children from their homes and brainwashes them. Whereas the Sith are just evil who have the goal of gaining power. Neither are good. Which is why I think that Mandolore should have continued killing Jedi and Sith in the Madno-Jedi wars and never stopped. They are both horrible religions. And the fact that Jedi support the Republic, Which is basically a corrupt dictatorship even before the Clone Wars started, Just shows how corrupt they themselves are. The only reason the Separatists were considered the bad guys is because of their military, Which was controlled by the Sith. The actual people running the Separatist government just wanted independence from the Republic. Which is something I agree with. They wanted to be able to make their own laws and rule themselves, So they attempted to split apart from the Republic, The Republic said no, The Sith hijacked the Separatist movement and thus the Clone War was started. And the Jedi knew all of this(Except for the Sith part because they were fools) And still supported the Republic, And continued to spread the lies about the Republic being the good guys in the war.

The foolishness and stupidity of the Jedi in legends caused most of the galaxy to hate them. Wherever the Jedi went, People died. And they also made terrible military commanders(Most of them). That is why the Clones(In LEGENDS) Hated them. They did not have the inhibitor chips originally, They hated the Jedi, And order 66 was simply an order to kill the Jedi because they attempted to take control of the Republic. Which Palpatine as the leader of the Republic had every right to enact. He was in his office when 4 Jedi came in and tried to arrest him on literally Religious grounds. Something that he could not be legally arrested for. If the Jedi had simply spoken to the senate and explained what all Palps was doing, Then he would have been legally arrested and executed. But instead they acted like fools. And since they were terrible leaders(for the most part) needlessly sacrificing clones and treating them(For the most part) like slaves who's lives didn't matter and not like actual people, The Clones(For the most part) did not hesitate to kill their generals. One exception was general Secura. The 327th Star Corps liked Secure, And when it came time for order 66, Commander Bly made sure Her death was quick and painless. That is why when we see Her death in Revenge of the Sith, We see the 327th fire several dozen shots at Her even after she is laying on the ground. It wasn't out of brutality, But Bly simply wanted to make sure she did not suffer. But most Jedi were not as good leaders as Secura was. Many of them were hated because they had no business leading an army and sucked at leading an army. Palps and the Clones had every right to kill the Jedi. The Jedi became a radical religious group that attempted to kill the head of the Republic.

The Sith(For the most part) are just evil(Mainly the modern Sith from about 600 years before the Clone War and beyond). Before that they were more like the Jedi.

EDIT: Another thing about the Separatists is that they saw themselves are better than the Republic because they did not use a slave army. They used droids. Which weren't living breathing beings. They saw the Clones as slaves, That were forced to go out and fight. And the fact that they used droids made them better then the Republic from their point of view. And that is something I can agree with. But again the main problem with the Separatist is that the people and the political leaders were blind to what Duku and the other military leaders were doing. In fact they didn't even know General Grevious was with the Separatist. They thought he was a Republic General who was committing a bunch of war crimes, Because Duku controlled what information was getting back to the people of the Separatists alliance.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you people think the Jedi are inherently the good guys and the Sith are inherently the bad guys?

Neither Jedi and Sith are both "Good" and "Evil".

Remember more "Evil" has been done in the name of "The Good" and "The Righteous" then done outright in the name of "Evil"

That's why wanting to be the Emperor of the whole galaxy makes Palpatine a "Bad" guy

Palpatine wanted to save the galaxy from both itself and an outside evil that wanted to destroy everything.

Everything He did was with the best intentions.

It's easier to compare them to Buddishm and Islam (Buddishm is all about peace, Muhammad spread Islam by the sword), Democrats and Republicans (two parties with different ideologies), Anglicanism (UK) vs Catholicism (Rome). even Apples and Pears. Each side has its own flavor, but neither is good nor bad.

Now see the funny thing about that is Jedi are conform or face punishment but are considered the "Good Guys" while the Sith who are entirely based on acceptance of reality and freedom.

Peace is a lie. There is only Passion.

Through Passion I gain Strength.

Through Strength I gain Power.

Through Power I gain Victory.

Through Victory my chains are Broken.

The Force shall free me.

• 15 months ago
  • 5 points

Palpatine wanted to save the galaxy from both itself and an outside evil that wanted to destroy everything.

Everything He did was with the best intentions.

So enslaving whole species to build his massive imperial military and blowing up a whole peaceful planet with innocent citizens was his best intentions? Starting a Separatist movement that killed millions of people and controlling both sides to manipulate the outcome?

Sounds more like space Hitler lol

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds more like space Hitler lol

And the other side was little better.

Widespread genetic testing to add only the "Pure" into their order.

Removal of those "Pure" children from their families for indoctrination into their beliefs.

Positioning themslves as "Advisors" to the goverment and acting as their chosen "Enforcers".

In the end both sides turned blinds eye's to their own actions because the ends justified the means, and both believed they were correct and that their own way was the only correct path.

Neither core set of beliefs is inherently "Good" or "Evil" but they take that core belief, and make themselves extremist factions and persecute the other sect wholeheartedly to the point of genocide.

If only George Lucas had chosen the Grey Jedi to lead the Republic.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

If only George Lucas had chosen the Grey Jedi to lead the Republic.

Well then there would be no movie as there would be no story to tell, the plot just wouldn't work.

The idea is that the Jedi being the more ignorant side plays into the story line to help build unto Anakins story, causing him eventually to turn to the dark side. They however do play into the story as the "peacekeepers" of the galaxy, while they're not perfect, but Im pretty sure it was the Sith who were the ones that kept constantly destroying the Galaxy over and over again and Sidious and Vader were no exception. They saved the Galaxy from the Jedi's ignorant way of teaching, only to go **** it all up in thier own evil, one sided way.

Its really more of picking the better of the two evils.

And the other side was little better.

I would much prefer History stay the way it is, Hitler winning the war would be horrendously worse then it is now.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Its really more of picking the better of the two evils.

Which is why I prefer Mandalorians at least they are somewhat honest about themselves.

I would much prefer History stay the way it is, Hitler winning the war would be horrendously worse then it is now.

Wait Space Hitler lost the war...

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait Space Hitler lost the war...

Ooops I thought you were referring to the Clone Wars , not the Galactic Civil War, lol my bad

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

wait.... i want to see a movie on this.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s treason, then.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

The Senate will decide your fate.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

I AM the Senate!

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

autistic screeching and spinning with lightsaber

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

we all have these lines backwards from the correct order, a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 15 months ago
  • 1 point

The Emperor did nothing wrong

Blew up a plant with millions of innocent people, enslaved whole species, staged a whole war to pit the galaxy against itself for his own lust for power.

In the end, he still failed to keep his Empire from collapsing. Matter of fact, him ruthlessly running his Empire like space Hitler made the Galaxy worse off in the end for the Vong invasion. Everything he did was wrong lol

That’s with legends, with the new canon he’s just space Hitler lol

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Soon after blowing up Alderaan, the Rebellion gained a huge advantage in that whole planetary systems were outraged at the Empires ruthlessness. In turn many joined the Rebellion, Palpatine basically shot himself in the foot.

Just like most Sith he was blinded in ways by his own lust for power, many things he did were out of pure spite and to feed his own ego. He doomed the Galaxy when he let his love for power get in the way of the end goal. His own Empire practically destroyed what was left at the end of the war in terms of military and manufacturing worlds (after he was dead). He left the Galaxy in such utter state of resentment of the Empire that the New Republic tried to mend this broken Galaxy too little too late.

Had he not been space Hitler then there would be no reason for Rebellion and then there would be no war that destroyed the Galaxy, making his war against the Vong all too easy.

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

ONLY because the Death Star was destroyed by a space wizard and some plot-armor level ********.

Sounds like you're in the wrong fandom, fam.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Well Palpatine was a Space Wizard too lol

It’s just a movie, if something doesn’t make sense, we shouldn’t compare it to reality because it’s not supposed to be. It makes sense in its own universe.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube