add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is my 1080 underperforming? PC built recently using new/used parts

Adam187a
  • 17 months ago

So I bought an Alienware X51 R3 and have my fun with it changing the CPU/GPU etc... I decided to want a fully modular system with a similar form factor and went for the following

CPU: i7-4790 (Cryorig C7 cooled)

RAM: 16GB

GPU: GTX 1080 Founder's Edition

PSU: SilverStone SFX 600w

HDD: Transcend340 (256GB SSD) + Samsung 2TB

I feel like my PC is underperforming, can't even hit a constant 144fps on Fortnite using a mixture of low + high + epic settings at 1080p! Gave Skyrim a go (Normal edition) whilst I can reach 144fps, it's mostly around 100 and reduces to 45fps or below when I see a town. This is all on 1080p MAX settings, everything ticked and swiped to the right. Still unsure, I went and ran a benchmark on CPU User benchmark, it told me everything was performing well but my GPU was in the lower percentile, did the same with Novabench, same story.

Temperature wise, I idle at 44'c and reach around 77'c on Fortnite. I have 2 120mm case fans that came with the case blowing air directly onto the GPU fan. My CPU reached a max of 70'c.

I used a 6600k and 1070 on my X51, I could hit 144fps on Fortnite fine with some dips in heavily populated areas. I've no idea whether my PC has something wrong with it or if it's just me overlooking this... is this a normal score? Here's my Novabench score: /view/1553231

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have the most up to date driver version? That's the only thing I can think of

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I used driver booster 5 to update my drivers, Windows was reinstalled only 2 days ago

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

PSU functioning properly?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I hope so, it's brand new

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

There really isn't too many ways to check either. If available try using a different one to at least eliminate it as a cause. Just sounds like it may not be getting enough juice.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay cool, will consider that factor the next time I have a spare PSU and I decide to troubleshoot the hardware individually

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube