add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New build problems, possible incompatibility/bad parts?

Hyliian
  • 17 months ago

Hi, i made this build last week for my father and he's reporting some problems but i can't understand what are causing them, all parts are brand new, except the SSD already in use in the previous PC. First of all sometimes the mouse stops working for 10-15 seconds, the whole PC seems stuck because neither the keyboard or the mouse work, and after this time the pc get all the input together and start working again; already changed mouse but the problem persist, and with the old build keyboard and mouse never had this problem. Then while browsing the internet sometimes the page wont load until chrome restart like there is no internet connection, tough i think this is a new google chrome update problem because other browsers seems to works fine. Finally i noticed during MEMTEST that it says "Memory Type: Unknown" and "Chipset: Unknown" tough it sees all 16GB ram (2x8GB) and the test did not report any errors, while CPU-Z and other software like speccy can identify the ram type.

Could this depend by a motherboard problem? Or could this depend by a faulty windows 10 installation? I'm planning to reinstall because i put a very old windows 10 setup and had to do all major updates since 2017, hopefully this is the problem.

While playing Rise of the Tomb Raider he didn't report any problems so it seems both GPU and CPU are OK. Benchmarks completed correctly too, without strange behavior. Also i have already updated the motherboard bios.

Is there any way to test the motherboard without switching with other parts? Thank you

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, i searched the forum but didn't see this section, sorry.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yesterday and today i had some time to check, everything. @slkipp the SMART test on the SSD reported no error and good conditions. I tried to uninstall the motherboard/chipset drivers but i couldn't do it, so i downloaded from Microsoft a more recent windows 10 version, including 1803 update and reinstalled again the whole system. That plus installing the motherboard drivers BEFORE any other update/installation seems to have solved every problem. Probably it was just the motherboard drivers, or a combinations of both, luckily is not an hardware problem. Thank you for your help.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

didn't thought about a SMART test on the SSD, and motherboard/chipset drivers seems to been installed without problems. anyway i'll try the smart test and reinstall everything if there is no problem with the SSD. I dont know how to use the windows event/error reporter system, barely know what it is. Thank you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube