add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I see BIOS? No GPU, no Hard Drive.

dmwarren2

17 months ago

I putting together a new PC - I've only put in place the motherboard, cpu and ram - power-on starts the fans running but I see no video output from the on-board graphics card - is the motherboard broken? Am I missing something?

At the moment I have: - Motherboard: PRIME B450M-A/CSM (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/wW66Mp/asus-prime-b450m-acsm-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-b450m-acsm) - CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor - Power: Corsair - TXM Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I was expecting to see output from the motherboard complaining that there's no boot options or just some opening BIOS screen - but nothing appears (the numlock key is highlighted on the keyboard).

The Ryzen processor does have written on it - "discrete graphics card needed" - does this mean the on-board graphics SHOULDN'T work, and everything's OK?

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Your setup does not have an integrated graphics solution. The display connector options provided by the motherboard are meant for use with compatible APUs. The 2600 is not such a processor.

The fact that you're receiving no video output with the system in its current state is not sufficient to say that everything's working all right. However, it is not sufficient to say that something is wrong.

You're going to need a discrete graphics card to watch the system POST, assuming your other components are operational.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Root_User - that makes sense, just wanted to confirm.

One more question... should the motherboard 'beep' when it boots up?

I was under the impression I would have had to plug in a specific little speaker to hear this, or is this built in to the motherboard?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Some motherboards will have a soldered on speaker. They can be pretty small and easy to miss but most commonly they will look like the one in the picture below, sans cable/plug;

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31dXtOoEJnL._SX425_.jpg

Unless it sounds more like a consistent electrical buzzing than short beeps, you should be fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube