add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

RAM slot now working.

BreadedVirus

17 months ago

Installed new CPU and tried to install the ever so troublesome Hyper Evo 212. Installed all my RAM sticks and the PC would not boot.

Had this happen before after installing a new RAM stick, so took all sticks out and played about with them until i found the first slot would not work. This be the slot nearest the CPU.

I take it the RAM slot is well and truly done for?

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you try a known good stick in all of the slots? If it boots properly in all slots with the known good except for the first one then yes it is most likely done for. You should RMA it. If not let me know what you tried and I can try to offer additional tips.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, tried all RAM sticks in the other slots and work perfect apart from the first RAM slot, where none of them seem to work.

I am sure i must of done something whilst trying to install the Hyper Evo 212.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Did all of the slots and sticks work before you installed it? I can't think of a way that installing a cooler broke a RAM slot other than if you forced the fan on and there was a clearance issue. I would say inspect all of the slots with a flash light and make sure that no pins are broken from inside the DIMM slot. Also inspect your RAM and make sure the contacts are all intact. Is you board under warranty? If it is then RMA it. If not then I have some things you could try to potentially fix it.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

If he overtightened the cooler it can cause RAM slots to not work

I would take it off and re seat it

Since the Hyper 212 has torque screws on it if I remember correctly you only have to tighten it until you get resistance

Forcing it can damage the motherboard

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

I have never had problems with a cooler being too tight, but I guess there is a first time for everything. I would make sure the pins are okay. If you did over-tighten that could damage pin/ pin contacts.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

All RAM contacts are ok and DIMM slot looks ok too.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Let me guess... Gigabyte motherboard?

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Asus - PRIME B250M-A

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube