add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

compatibility issue ?

muci
  • 17 months ago

I'm planning on buying a new motherboard, but when i saw that the motherboard ddr4 compatibility devided in 2 I decided to ask for help after trying to find the answer on site's.

1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667Mhz (by JEDEC) 2667/ 2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466 MHz (by A-XMP OC MODE) it's the MSI - B450M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard and the Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory.

and the sites also says it is dual channel. I plan on upgrading my pc in the future to a 4 kit. is it smart to buy a motherboard with dual

thank you in advance

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Memory channels are determined by the CPU, not the motherboard. All Ryzen CPU's are dual channel and run at their best with 2 sticks. Any other number will cause a slowdown; whether the slowdown is noticeable at all depends on a ton of factors including luck of the silicon draw. It is fairly likely that running 4 sticks will limit the speed at which you can run the memory, though. Running 1 stick will limit memory subsystem throughput but should not limit the speed at which you can run the one stick. (This is relevant because the Ryzen internal fabric runs at memory clock speed.)

Unless you need best speed right away, or don't plan on upgrading for quite a while, you might do best to start with one stick and plan on ending up with two.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 17 months ago
  • 1 point

thank you now I got to learn more, but what about the different kind of ram speed a bord can support. the pcpartpicker site says it supports 1866/ 2133/ 2400/ 2667 /2800/ 2933/ 3000/ 3066/ 3200/ 3466, but on the msi site those are separated. does that mean anything '?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube