add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

USB connection? Do I need adapter?

maxkyle
  • 17 months ago

Hi, I am trying to connect the USB 3.0 coming out of my case to my MSI B450I Mini ITX mobo, but it only has ports for USB 2.0 and 3.1. Is this USB connection from my case to my motherboard very necessary, and if so, should I get a USB 3.0 to 2.0 adapter? I read that they are backwards compatible, but I just wanted to make sure I can stick the USB 3.0 into the USB 2.0 port on the mobo. In addition, what is this USB cable coming out of my case even for? Sorry I'm new to this, but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

USB 3.0 = faster transfers.

If you have a built-in USB 3.0 cable in your case, it's connected to your USB ports which are accessible externally for your devices (external storage, USB sticks, chargers, etc). For these external ports to work, you will need to connect the cable to the motherboards USB 3.1 header (its backwards compatible hence you will maintain the 3.0 speeds only - which are great!)

EDIT: Also, any other cables which are connected to the case will be for your power button, HD led light, reset button or any other function the case provides on its external I/O panel - eg. https://www.pcper.com/files/imagecache/article_max_width/review/2016-07-27/13-IO-panel.jpg For all of these to work you will need to connect the cables to the corresponding headers/pins on the motherboard.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I got all the other cables connected properly from my case. Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube