add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC gives CPU-fault beeps because of unplugged keyboard...wtf??

Vonklinkenhoffn

17 months ago

Hi all. How about this one, my computers mobo would sometimes beep 5 times, like it would if there was a problem with the CPU. However, aside from the beeps, everything would boot fine and no problems with the computer whatsoever. I tried to find the reason for these beeps though and finally I've found the reason. I'm quite surprised though, that whenever I unplug my usb-keyboard it will beep 5 times on startup. I use this PC as a couch HTPC and therefore I would plug/unplug a keyboard quite often, until recently when I got a wireless one. Now, since my wireless keyboard runs on both usb and bt, I will get the beeps every time I boot with the keyboard running on bt, but never when using the usb-dongle. So what about this one guys, anyone had anything similar happen? Anyone knows why this is happening? It's no crisis, I mean, everything is running fine, but I'm quite baffled by this and would like to know if I'm the only one or if this is normal or what? I could get that it would react to not detecting any keyboard, but why the exact same beeps as a CPU problem, when there's clearly no problem with the CPU, it's only reacting to my keyboard being unplugged..weird right? Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Depending what MB you have, you might be able to change the setting in the bios to ignore missing keyboard.

• 17 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks for the feedback! I have actually figured this one out. I deactivated something like "turn on NumLock on boot" in bios and that solved it. I guess the mb was freaking out because it couldn't find the keyboard and do this via bt. It's understandable it would react, but still weird it would use the 5 beeps of cpu-error to do so. Anyways, problem is solved now, it no longer beeps.

• 17 months ago
  • 1 point

wow thats really wierd, try flashing the BIOS as it could be some very strange issue with that

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube