add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
tragiktimes101

14 months ago

So, I just bought a new keyboard for work. I decided to go with a red switch variant because I feel that blues would be too loud for my co-workers sanity. I ended up deciding on this board and so far I love it. It has addressable RGB keys, quiet Gaote/Outemu red switches (a bit of a tap bottoming out even with dampeners), looks quite clean, and only cost $50. Really, so far I don't have any complaints aside from the non braided cable. And, now thinking about it, since it's just a micro USB cable I guess I can replace that.

Well, the reason I decided to put this in general discussion and not the keyboard category because I was wondering what peripheral you all put the most stock in (ergonomics or quality of life wise)? And, bonus question: what kind of switches do you prefer (key color and brand)?

Edit: So...I made my keyboard patriotic.

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

I am brutal on keyboards. My desk is a liter of components, tools, 3D printer, filament, solder, and the sad tattered broken remains of many of my sons toys. I work almost exclusively at my desk and get sucked in for long hours. I spill liquids, drop tools, knock over, and crush my keyboards. I usually have to replace them within a years time. So.. durability is an absolute must and I have yet to find a good keyboard (with number pad) that can stand up to the abuse Me and my own deliver.

I got a Corsair k70 Mk 2 with silent switches for about the same price as your kB (amazon owed me). I’ve had it for about two months and I can tell it’s not going to make it a full year. It’s not a good keyboard, feels uber cheap, doesn’t have the weight I’d have expected, and overall build quality is very poor. I’ve used silent switch keys before and the ones in the Corsair board just feel super mushy, Id say even worse than a midrange membrane keyboard.

Once this goes, I’ll probably just break down and do a diy kit with a full metal chassis and waterproof the dark out of it.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like you beat the hell out of keyboards. As crappy as they are, you may need to consider a laser reader keyboard. But, then you'd probably just wear holes in your desk lol.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

I have never had a mechanical keyboard, except way back when I had an IBM keyboard. I kind of cheaped out on my keyboard/mouse.

The one you shared here looks good, and the price is great. Glad it is working for you.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I have never had a mechanical keyboard, except way back when I had an IBM keyboard. I kind of cheaped out on my keyboard/mouse.

There are a couple of mech keyboards that have been dropping to lower price points I've seen on Amazon. Might be worth a go if you ever feel like experimenting. It feels (although not much experience yet) that red switches are going to be a little less stress on the hands than membrane or blues.

The one you shared here looks good, and the price is great. Glad it is working for you.

Thanks! So far, so good. Time will hopefully expose any shortcomings I don't see yet.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

I dislike most mechanical keyboards and can't stand linear switches at all. I'm intrigued by the newer low profile switches and am going to try a Gamdias Hermes P3 with low profile browns (Kailh Chocs?).

I put more stock in a screen or chair than keyboard or mouse. I used to game using a Logitech M315 and a mediocre laptop keyboard though, and that kind of setup probably evokes nightmares in some gamers.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I can definitely see the value in a good monitor and chair. I lucked out with a pretty check IPS and found a used chair that just needed a base replaced, so I haven't really put much towards that side of things. I've got my eye on a 1440p 144hz freesync curved monitor, though for about $350. Might just buy a cover for the chair, lol.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

I've got a Nixeus Edg. :)

Chairs don't need to be expensive to be comfy. If you like cheap metal folding chairs, then lucky for you, more money to spend on a monitor!

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got a Nixeus Edg

Nice. I'm looking at this one.

I really shouldn't (wife might kill me). But, I think I'm going to. ;)

Chairs don't need to be expensive to be comfy

Nope. My free chair is pretty comfy. Kind of ugly, sure. But, pretty comfy. :)

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Woah, that must be new. I'm not familiar with high refresh Samsung VA panels at all. Should be pretty sweet though...

If only I could get a nice Freesync card to drive my monitor. I'm still using an IceQ 7950 boost. Vega, why did you have to be so expensive and lackluster?

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I know, right. I'm still looking for a reasonably priced Vega 56.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

IMO a hexgears x1 looks better and is sold by a more reputable company.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, the reason I decided to put this in general discussion and not the keyboard category because I was wondering what peripheral you all put the most stock in (ergonomics or quality of life wise)?

Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse. They offer the biggest playability increases but sadly always seem to be the most overlooked.

And, bonus question: what kind of switches do you prefer (key color and brand)?

Cherry MX Reds or Silver for the speed.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Monitor, Keyboard, and Mouse. They offer the biggest playability increases but sadly always seem to be the most overlooked.

Yeah, I can see that. I put quite a bit of stock in those but have been lacking on the monitor front.

Cherry MX Reds or Silver for the speed.

I never thought about the extra speed with reds, and although I don't have cherry's, I can definitely see the increase in speed with them. A little louder than a standard keyboard, but with dampeners it's not bad. The red switches still feel a little weird, though.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

The red switches still feel a little weird, though.

They take getting used to but reaction time once you stop randomly spinning in place because you accidentally touched a key is amazing.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Lol, I'm still trying to get the feel for when the switch "breaks."

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats a real nice board for the price!

what peripheral you all put the most stock

Personally anything I interact with in regards to my PC does get higher priority. Mouse / keyboard are priority of course as I use them hours on end, day in day out. Infact recently readjusted my desk to try and improve ergonomics in that regards. Monitor is not too far behind that. Infact that is how I got into building PC's. I worked from home after graduating a fair bit, so to make life easier picked up a large high res monitor. That in turn meant I kicked off the process of building my own PC.

Chair is a high priority, though being honest, I have a gamer chair which is okay, but looking to replace with a more ergonomic one sooner rather then later.

In terms of switch's I am a big fan of Brown's. I like the actuation feedback and the noise it produces is fine. I do actually like blue's as they feel neat to type on and the sound is kind of mesmerising, but it is sadly too loud, so browns are the switch for me.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Update in post body.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Typing this from a Royal Kludge RK61

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

o say can you see, by tragik's patriotic light...

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello, I just got the Logitech G213 but after seeing this keyboard Im thinking about returning my keyboard. How is the quality of this one?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I really like it. Feels solid. I would recommend O-ring quieters to make it just a bit more quiet. But, aside from that I have no qualms with it.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the lighting per key or by areas?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Per key.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

How many colors does it have? is it with software

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

8 I think. And, no. But, I am about to try and flash it so that I can control it with software.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube